Prerequisites for MTA 98-365 Windows server fundamentals

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by Tijzer, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Tijzer

Tijzer New Member

Hi guys,

Let me sketch my situation here real quick, I work as a 1st line support employee for 2 years and have already some (but rather limited) knowledge of windows server 2008. I would like to get a good foundation and start with the MTA windows server administration first and hopefully later proceed towards MCSA.

Can you guys help me out and tell me what I would really need for, in the first place, the MTA? (Books, home lab material,...)

I would like to do as much as possible through self-study, if possible.

Thanks for your help!

2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

With two years of support experience you should already know enough for this cert.

Do you know what a server is? Do you know what Active Directory does? Have you heard of SQL Server?

That's pretty much the level you need to be at for the MTA exams.

3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Go onto the Certiport site, they have free prep guides for the MTA's. go thru them and gauge for yourself :)

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. The Zig

The Zig Kilobyte Poster

I'll second what WagnerK says. Check out the objectives and the free prep guides.

In the scheme of things, these aren't tough exams and your experience should carry you most of the way. But I have noticed some tricky questions in the MTA question banks. And given that you only have 35 questions in which to prove yourself (so can only afford about 7 errors), a bit of bad luck could easily knock off the under-prepared.
    So read the objectives and prep guides. It's better to over-prepare - especially when it's your own money on the line.

Certifications: A+; Network+; Security+, CTT+; MCDST; 4 x MTA (Networking, OS, Security & Server); MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Support; MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Administrator; MCITP - Server Administrator; MCSA - Server 2008; MCT; IOSH; CCENT
    WIP: CCNA; Server 2012; LPIC; JNCIA?