Power DVD CLDMA file

Discussion in 'Software' started by Cockles, Jan 3, 2007.

1. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

Hi guys

I'm back a bit sooner than expected. Hope you all had a top break.

But I'll begin the new year the way I know how: Questions

Last week, I was clearing out stuff on my old hard drive (17.6 GB with 3.28 left). This drive has virtually no running programmes on, it is only really used for storage. I deleted a load of guff on it (including old programmes), rebooted, then found it had dropped to 280 MB. How on earth did I suddenly lose 3 GB!!!!

I then noticed a text document called CDLMA that was a whopping 3.9 GB. I have looked around on this and it seems to be something to do with Power DVD, yet no one really knows if it is safe to delete and God knows where it came from.

Has anyone else seen anything similar, and do you know if I can dispose of it?

Thanks in advance as always :biggrin

Certifications: None
    WIP: Trying to find my car keys
  2. Rostros22

Rostros22 Kilobyte Poster

Hello there

You could try and take away the file extension of the file or rename it, run the Power DVD program and check everything that works.

If it runs without a problem then it should be safe to delete. That is of course if it is related to Power DVD.

But if you are worried about it being needed, back it up on another media source just in case before deleting it.

Certifications: ITIL Certs, F.A.S.T Auditor Certs
    WIP: None - Application with Police
  3. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

Thanks, I'll give that a shot. I'm just wary with Windows, you delete something, everything runs fine until a few months down the line when you try and open some infrequent programme and bang, that smug b@stard of a paperclip is frozen on your screen glaring at you

Cheers

4. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

If this is the cldma.log file (note the extension) then it is a diagnostic file written by PowerDVD.

It *looks* as if it can be turned on and off in "System Diagnosis" within PowerDVD.

In anycase you should be able to delete it with no bad consequences.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  5. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

I think it is a .log yes, thanks H, gawd bless ya

6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

A 3.9GB log file wtf :blink

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  7. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

Just looked back on it and I was wrong, it's just a .txt file. Problem is, you can't open it as it is too large so I have no idea what is one it

I Googled this and it seems to be quite a common occurence, although no-one seems to know why it is there or what to do with it, just that it appears to have a link with PowerDVD (even though my PoweerDVD is installed on my other hard drive).

This file is the only explanation I can think of how my hard drive went from 3.2 GB to 220 MB after a re-boot despite me removing three old programme folders that wouldn't work anymore (for the record Dreamweaver, Flash and WinDVD)

8. Vendetta

Vendetta Nibble Poster

9. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Just stop using PowerDVD :)

As maybe mentioned in another thread yesterday.... I enjoy using this little thing

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  10. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

You my friend are the business!!! Just had a 'Nam flashback and remember clicking on System Diagnostic, which must have created that file. It just threw me though as it dumped it on a different drive thatn what Power DVD was installed on

Milky bars are on me!!!!

11. mojorisin

mojorisin Kilobyte Poster

Think i might give this a try saves having loads of different software for media files

WIP: Microsoft 365 Identity and Services MD-100
  12. Vendetta

Vendetta Nibble Poster

glad you got it sorted :)