potential ram problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dexter7, Oct 7, 2008.

1. dexter7

dexter7 New Member

hi i have just been to crucial to check out what ram i have the following:-
    512MBDDR PC2700 512MBDDR PC2100

Each memory slot can hold DDR PC3200,DDR PC2700 with a maximum of 1GB per slot.*

is the PC100 ram i allready have installed compatable with my pc as i am having random crashing problems at the moment.i had someone put me a new hard drive in and at the same time they upgraded the memory. so i just wanted to now if this type is causing a problem.

2. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

http://www.crucial.com/systemscanner/

Use this tool to see which new memory your system can take. The RAM you have in currently isn't exactly optimised for your system and it'll run, but it'll be slow.

My advice would be to upgrade with the fastest RAM your PC can handle.

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  3. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

dexter7,

Do you know how to safely remove the PC2100 RAM stick?

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  4. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

This may help him :wink:

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  5. dexter7

dexter7 New Member

i have no trouble changing the ram as i enrolled on the comptia a+, the upgrades were done before i enrolled by a friend of my wife. what i really need to no is should i remove it, is it compatable or am i risking damage by leaving it in?
    thanks for all the help:)

6. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

dexter7,

Since you state that you know how to safely remove RAM, then I'd remove the PC2100 RAM stick and run your computer with only the PC2700 stick in it. The computer may not operate as well as you expect it to run with only 1/2 of the RAM but see if that might solve your "...random crashing problems..." you're having. If you no longer have "...random crashing problems..." after removing the PC2100 RAM stick, then that's pretty good evidence that it was the PC2100 RAM stick that caused the "...random crashing problems." To double check that it is the PC2100 RAM stick, reinsert the PC2100 RAM stick back into the computer and wait for the "...random crashing problems..." to start occuring again. That would confirm it's the PC2100 RAM stick that's responsible.

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  7. dexter7

dexter7 New Member

"...thanks...":D