Please Help!!!!

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by leeroy2612, Aug 22, 2009.

1. leeroy2612

leeroy2612 Byte Poster

howdo people

ive got a really annoying one

ive been having issues with my laptop and desktop which i have a sneaking suspicion has something to do my anti virus
    (shield deluxe 2009)
    my desktop has been running how i can only describe as being skittish, as it is working to around 85%, which, for what i use it for is addequate. my laptop started getting the blue screen and constant rebooting that steadily got worse. anywho, i had to do a complete restore of my laptop from the recovery disk which worked a treat and it has now not crashed once since. because my probs started very soon after installling the shield deluxe i decided even though i had 6 months left, i would start a fresh and get macafee (2 users). i installed this completely fine on the desktop, but now my troubles have started again with the laptop as i cant even log in to my macafee account to install. im getting various different error msgs each time a try to log in but they all boil down to the same thing "due to high demand, the server is too busy". now seems very noraml, and to be expected occasionally, although while waiting for the server to free i decided to do a little surfing so i treid youtube, and guess what, that also wouldnt load. basically i can acces my ie explorer fine and bring up search results and most of them work completely fine, e.g my wife was trawling though pages and pages of the local newspaper online without any trouble at all, but if i try to go on youtube it just wont load. also one pertinant point is that i thought of trying another video streaming site to see if it was a flash player issue, so i tried boysfood (ill leave it to your own imagination what that is) and that works 100%. please please help as this is driving me up the wall. ive tried hijack this and ive tried to ping macafee but im actually sending this from my work pc as i tried to post this from home last night and surprise surprise it timed out and i lost all the thread i wrote, so this is the second attempt.

Certifications: ecdl 1,2
    WIP: A+, mcse
  2. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Hmmn, could be something lurking in any data you transferred back but most competant AV's should have detected that.

Not a big McAfee fan I'm afraid.

Why not try grabbing the free AVG or a trial from ESET (I use the Home Security option) which is truly excellent and available for a 30 day free trial.

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  3. leeroy2612

leeroy2612 Byte Poster

but if i have no av and ive also now turned off the windows firewall to see if anything is getting blocked... how can there be any av issues if ive had to completely restore the laptop back to factory setts

4. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

That's what I'm saying - you have a problem because the virus (if one) hasn't been cleared out properly and is restricting your 'net access (very common). You need to get a decent AV on there and do a full scan of all partitions.

Alternatively - what was the code on the blue screen ?

5. leeroy2612

leeroy2612 Byte Poster

oh rite, so you mean that even after using the recovery disc, it is poss for virus to have some lingering issues. ive tried avg or avs what ever its called and i thought it was very good for free service. do you suggest i try to install a free av and see if it picks anything up

6. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

It certainly won't hurt to try ....

7. leeroy2612

leeroy2612 Byte Poster

good thinking bat man, ill try it after work and see what happens

cheers fella

8. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

If you have a virus and no software using the recovery disc wont do anything, the only way to get rid is to completl wipe the drive or get some good anti virus like ESET.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  9. leeroy2612

leeroy2612 Byte Poster

ok, so ive set up the free trial of eset which looks like a very good av... only problem is that it didnt solve the problem. just for a quick update

i cant access youtube
    i can acess any other streaming site
    i cant access my online banking (well sometimes i can and sometimes i cant)
    i cant access my macafee account
    i can access anything that doesnt involve any form of login, i.e my wife has just spent around 3 hours trawling the web looking for a puppy to buy and had no issues what so ever.

ive leterally just remembered one important factor. i have an iphone 3gs that ive been having issues updating my appstore from my home router since i got it. i had the iphone 3g as well that i have no probs at all when updating. i also cant access youtube from my home network but i can access mixtube (available when you jailbreak). i went to my mums house yesterday and accessed her wifi and surprise surprise i was able to update all my appstore apps no problems and access you tube no probs. anyway my brain has finally kicked in and ive just tried to access an unsecured wifi network that is avaiable from my home and again surprise surprise ive managed to access my macafee account and youtube no problems at all:x:x:x
    so its my router that seems to be blocking secure access sites, so ill repeat the heading for this thread PLEASE HELP!! as i have no idea why its doing this or how to fix it.

one relevant notes to repeat, is that this only started happening when i restored my laptop with the recovery disc.:x

10. greenbrucelee

Are you running ESET smart security?

If so it will block everything unless you tell it not to or you can set it to auto mode or learning mode and it will learn the apps you use and set up the required policies on its own.

As for your browser or you using IE6? if so I am told youtube doesn't work on it anymore as they stopped support for it.

11. leeroy2612

leeroy2612 Byte Poster

Yeah Im running eset now after the advise from this thread but there was absolutly no change after installing eset from before when I had no av and had the firewall turned off

I'm now sure it's my router as when I first noticed I was having the issue with updating my apps on my iPhone I used my favourite trick a d typed question in google to see if it was a common issue, a d I did get aot of results back saying that there was some gigery pokery that needed doing on my router setts, but something came up and as of yet I havnt had the time to look into it properly. Anyway as Im having the same issue with my laptop, surely that means it's the router. Now as I only figured out that it was my router last night I havnt had time to try the normal fault dianosis, so If a gone can think of anything that it could be other then just a standard router reset etc, your advise would be appreciated

12. greenbrucelee

did you try changing it to learning mode or automatic as I suggested.

Eset will block incoming and outgoing transmissions unless you get it learn that you need these transmissions or you can manually configure it by setting it to policy mode.

13. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Weird.

I would contact your ISPs helpdesk as it could be a routing problem at their end, and the fact it's only done this since you restored your laptop maybe a red herring.

Clearly the problem isnt your laptop as it works on other networks.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  14. leeroy2612

leeroy2612 Byte Poster

hi bluerinse,

yeah im glad you said that as im now certain its not a av issue as im having the exact same issue with the iphone so...

ive been really busy the last week so not had chance to do anything else but moan to you guys about the issue. im free tonight though so ill try and give my isp a call. whats really confusing me though is the fact that my desktop is tip top with no issues what so ever :rolleyes::rolleyes:

15. greenbrucelee

I've said this a couple of times now but you havent said that you have checked.

Has Eset blocked your router? it did with mine.

16. leeroy2612

leeroy2612 Byte Poster

to be honest ive not had chance to check anything out yet apart from trying another wifi connection.

i will check this out tonight now im free, but i cant see how this could be the case as i was having the exact same issue before having eset or any other av on the laptop. please have a good rant at me to explain why im wrong if i am as you obviously have far more knowlege and experience than me (hence all your certs and the distinct lack of mine) but i honestly cant figure out how it could be eset, especially as ive had the same issue with my iphone for the last 3 months, but my laptop has only had this issue for around 10 days.

17. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)