Ping NoelG

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Arroryn, Nov 5, 2005.

1. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

So, my lovely Nano, that thus far seems to have high quality music and be perfect for use hangs my PC on startup.

I have it connected via the bog-standard USB docking cable. If this is plugged in to both the PC and the Nano when I start the PC, it hangs on memory testing a few Bytes in. ?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  2. moominboy

moominboy Gigabyte Poster

unplug when you startup then plug back in?

Certifications: ECDL
    WIP: A+
  3. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

did u install the iPod software first before plugging in the iPod? (i know its silly to ask but you be surprised how many people dont do this!) if you have done it the right way, best to download the latest iPod software (if it hasnt got it already), another thing you can try is resetting the iPod (www.apple.com/uk/support/ipod) but maybe the best thing would be to not have the iPod connected when your PC is booting up....let me know what happens...I am going to be at work in over an hour so I will reply then...

EDIT: besides the iPod what else is plugged in the PC? and whats the spec of your machine and what USB ports do u have? eg 1.1 or 2.0?

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  4. Arroryn

I was just curious if you knew why it would hang - I've been plugging it in after boot, and it's ok.

I have USB 2.0 running XP, 3.2 processor, 768MB RAM. Shouldn't be a problem to run it.

5. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

just give it a reset and hopefully that should sort it out...

6. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

I found out why the iPod hangs your PC on startup...my flat mate has a Nano and regularly asks me to charge it for him...so tonight when I was woking on my PC I had to do some reboots...I noticed how my PC suddenly hung...so I tried to reboot...the same thing happened...so I turned it off for a few secs...turned it on and again it hung...then I thought hold on I have the iPod nano plugged in...so unplugged that and it booted up fine...and here is my reason for why it hangs your PC or any PC...the iPod has an internal hard drive which actually acts as an external hard drive when connected to the computer...if u look in my computer you will notice it sometimes displays it as a removable disk...hence when the PC starts up and it hangs its cos it is trying to located the external hard drive which happens to be the iPod Nano...and when it cant find it well it simply wont start up...so thats why its best to not have it plugged when booting up the computer...whew...hope that helps...:D

7. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

oh, thanks for that. :)

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  8. Arroryn

Thanks for that! All makes sense now :)

9. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

have just been informed by some colleagues that the iPod Nano has a flash memory card and not a hard drive...so even tho it displays it as a hard drive in the computer it is in fact a flash memory (how could I have forgotten that one?) anyway just thought I would let u know...