Ping ManicD

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by ffreeloader, Dec 23, 2007.

1. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

I'm moving this out of Twizzle's Training Providers thread so that thread doesn't get hijacked. I'd just really like to continue this discussion so I can understand your point of view

How is this different? I've never learned anything studying for a certification test that wasn't about implementing or troubleshooting some technology. That's exactly what those exams are designed to find out--if you understand a technology. And, if you study hands-on rather than just read books, which is really the only way to do it as your ability to remember what you've studied goes way up doing it hands-on, you're actually implementing the technologies in questions. If you can't make yourself do that on your own with the motivation it's going to advance your career, possibly make you more money, and give you knowledge you didn't have before, just how are you going to study to keep up with change in the world? Nobody's work place uses the latest and greatest of everything. In fact, most places don't. Most businesses use stuff a few years old, and never implement "everything". They only implement a cross section of what they must have, and what they can afford.

And, if your boss tells you that you to update your skills if you want a raise, how you gonna discipline yourself to study on your own if you can't do it now? Are you going to tell him to pay for your training, and require him to give you a raise at the same time? That just ain't gonna happen with the majority of employers. To tell the truth, I've never worked for any business which would have done that, and I'm in my mid-fifties.

I'm not picking on you. Please don't take my questioning of you that way. I'm really looking to understand, as I just don't "get it" when it comes to your point of view. You share it with a lot of people too, so you're most definitely not alone in how you see things. I'm not even saying your point of view isn't valid, only that I just don't understand it.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1