Ping different subnets?

Discussion in 'Networks' started by twizzle, Mar 20, 2007.

1. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Guys can anyone tell me if i could ping from one pc to another if both are on different subnet mask but using the same network hardware?

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

This will depend on whether they are on the same subnet or not. The mask may be irrelevant - it isn't transmitted in the packet so it would depend if there was an 'overlap' or not.

A little more detail of the setup would help to get a clearer picture.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

sorry harry i meant Subnets,

One pc is using 255.255.255.0 and the other is using 255.255.0.0 but both connect through the same switch. I just want to test to see if one is connected to the other using ping as i cant connect via the GUI. one pc runs a linux kernel the other W2k.

4. hbroomhall

What IP addresses do the two machines have? If both are in the same network as specified by the more restrictive mask then they should be able to ping each other.

But *why* are the masks different? This will only confuse further down the road!

Harry.

5. Headache

Headache Gigabyte Poster

With a cisco router you can.

But with a switch ? Hmmm... never heard of that before.

What switch are you using by the way ?

And why did you decide to put the workstations on different subnets, if you don't mind my asking ?

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  6. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

right both are on the same ip range... 10.10.x.x and i'm not sure of the switch/ router make. (its at a clients site). The reason i'm asking is that i think one has the wrong subnet assigned but as its a linux machine taht i cannot connect a monitor too at the moment i can't check it. However it if it was setup the way i think then it has the subent of 255.240.0.0 and the other one i know has a subnet of 255.255.255.0 and both need to talk to each other.

I think i may have to forget it for now as i have no way of changing it anyway at the moment with out physical access to the unit...

7. hbroomhall

Sorry - but we need the next byte of the address to be able to tell whether they will ping each other.

It *is* possible to change the IP details of a Linux box remotely, but it is a little tricky!

Harry.

8. Headache

Headache Gigabyte Poster

Yeah, tricky is the word.

Especially, if it turns out that the remote box is sharing the same subnet with other workstations in the same building.

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  9. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

In a word YES as long as your networks can route to each other.