Ping any Pratchett fans...

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Baba O'Riley, Dec 21, 2006.

1. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

So as not to hijack Tripwire's thread about Santa too much I though I'd start a new one.

Did anyone see Sky's production of Hogfather the other day? What did you think of it?

I for one thought it was very well done considering I was so cynical about it when I first heard about it. Some of the effects were a bit ropey but I thought the casting was spot on and it was very faithful to the book (of course they couldn't keep everything in it but when can you?).

I'd be interested in what anyone who saw it who hasn't read the book thought. Did it make sense to you? I often have this thought when watching films of books I've already read - would this make sense to someone who hasn't read the book? I especially think that about the Lord of the Rings films because there's a lot of back story that the films don't go into.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  2. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I have read the book, and I thought it was incredibly well done. I agree with the casting, though my mind rebelled when I thought the Death of Rats looked kind of cute...

I wasn't too cynical, as I'd seen the animated versions of Soul Music and Wyrd Sisters, and had quite loved them.

Banjo wasn't quite as I was expecting, but I thought the hair-loss pixie was hilarious :)

The most anticlimatic moment was Susan beating up the monster. It was much better in my head after reading the book.

The funnest bit was Death. In general :)

The opinion of someone that hadn't read the book was they thought it was awful. They said it was like they'd copied Harry Potter. I spent half an hour tirading after that. In the general direction of the office.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  3. Baba O'Riley

LMAO, all the way through I was thinking "I bet there are hundreds of people watching this and complaining that they've ripped off Harry Potter". The irony is that nothing in Harry Potter is original anyway.:rolleyes:

I agree with you about Death, I though the guy that played him (in body) did a great job. It is notoriously difficult to act behind a mask. The fact that he wasn't even doing the voice must have made it doubly hard.

4. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

I thought it was ok... a lil bit below my expectations but not as bad as it could have been.

I liked Deatg of rats but wished there had been more of him as in the book. Banjo was a lil bit of a let down as was the whole introduction to the bandits. Also the wizards were slightly less than i expected, not quite as funny as in the book.

On the whole tho it was well done with Death and Susan casted right (i saw the making of the night before and wasnt sure they picked the right people... i wazs wrong)

And as for David jason as Alfred....... if they make any more liek taht he has to be in them!!

And me lad liked it too, he's a prachett fan but hasnt read Hogsfather yet.

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  5. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Don't have Sky...

Read the book though - not one of my favorites although I do love Death as a character.

I do enjoy Pratchett, but don't buy all his books. I do like the Guards stories - there is something so pragmatic about Sam Vimes.

Favorites are Mort and Pyramids.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  6. Baba O'Riley

Pyramids is one of my favourites too, it's a shame it was very much a stand-alone novel. I've been really enjoying the more recent ones as three or four books ago he seemed to have lost it a bit.

7. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

THought it was good. Recorded it so still getting through it

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  8. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Haven't watched it and won't. I have read every book Pratchett has ever written at least three times and loved every single one of them (even the ones he wrote for kids in his earlier career like 'Diggers' and 'Truckers').

I have to say that I was singularly underwhelmed by the trailers (unlike the trailers for the Lord Of The Rings, which will never be topped in cinema history, as far as I'm concerned) and just don't see how Pratchett's work can be translated to the screen. I'm with Arro on the animated versions - they were quite fun.

A similar hash was made of The HitchHiker's Guide To the Galaxy film - the old TV series, whilst aboslutely pants, still had a quaint appeal about it, whereas the film was, quite frankly, bollocks.

Besides, nowt good has ever been associated with Sky (with the possible exception of their cricket coverage)

As the Nac Mac Feegle would say:

"Stick it yer trakkans Murdoch yer wee chubby aussie scunner!"

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  9. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Oooh, humbug!

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  10. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Yep.

See my avatar for further details...