Phoenix from the flames - Passed 70-646

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by BigG, Apr 24, 2013.

1. BigG

BigG Nibble Poster

Well, after just missing the grade a month ago I can happily say I have now passed the 70-646!! and I'm now a MCSA 2008 Server Administrator (yes I know.. just a few years behind 2012...)

Score 945 - so I'm damn pleased with that, if a little shocked to be honest!

What was the difference from now and last time?
    1. The failed exam prepared me for the style of question to expect and how the questions were asked.
    2. Failed exam pointed out some major knowledge failings that I read up on.
    3. This time I didn't have a testlette missing half the scenario :mad
    4. Questions seemed more straight forward - less "both answers are valid", less searching through scenarios for the bit of info relating to the question.
    5. I had questions that I had last time - odd as I thought that there was a bank of 1000's of questions
    6. Some wrong answers were so wrong i was left with a 50/50 choice - which helps!

All in all this exam (despite some duplicate questions) seemed more straight forward than last time.

Tips for others
    1. The exam covers topics from the 70-640 and a tiny bit from the 70-642. Primarily from the 70-646 though!.
    2. Read in depth the topics in the book by going to technet or other sources. I only really did this after failing the first exam and realizing they were asking about "advanced" features of applications that were not in the book. Med-V isn't even mentioned in the book!!
    3. Learn when you use a feature. I new what they where , but before the first attempt didn't really know when to apply things and it what circumstances.

I'm annoyed that I missed out last time, but at least passing it second time means that the printout looks better now than it would have if I had just scraped by.

Off for a beer and a looooong rest now - sick of studying!!!

G

Last edited: Apr 24, 2013
    Certifications: BSc, Prince2 Practitioner, MCSA Win7, MCSA 2008
    WIP: Vmware, ITILv3 on the back burner
  2. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Congrats! I am sure it was not an easy exam!

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  3. Fixxxer80

Fixxxer80 Bit Poster

Congrats on the pass, i'm also studying for the 70-646 exam and am currently going though the CBT Nuggets, from what I've seen so far in the nuggets recently passing the 70-648 exam will help a lot, i think some material does overlap. Which should be helpful

Certifications: MCSE: Productivity, MCSA: O365, MCSA: Win Svr 2012/2008/2003, MCITP Exchange 2007
    WIP: MCSA: Cloud Platform, MCSE: Cloud Platform & Infrastructre
  4. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

Congrats chief. I failed it for the second time this week. So I know its a tough exam.

Next time gadget next time!

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012