PC Support Books

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by MrNerdy, Dec 18, 2008.

1. MrNerdy

MrNerdy Megabyte Poster

Thinking of buying Upgrading & Repairing PC's by Scott Mueller.
    But anyone know of any other good books to look at.
    It's not aimed at certification, but just to use mostly as reference or to double check when offering advice.

Certifications: ECDL, CiscoIT1 & A+
    WIP: Girlfriend & Network+
  2. MrNerdy

MrNerdy Megabyte Poster

May buy the Scott Mueller book then?

Certifications: ECDL, CiscoIT1 & A+
    WIP: Girlfriend & Network+
  3. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Sorry m8, can't really help you. I cut my teeth on builds/repairs etc by working in a local PC shop for 2-3 years so it's all in my head :biggrin

Hey - maybe I should write a book ! :p

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  4. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Sorry no-ones replies Mr N. but I think the that book my be the one. Not that I have studies that exam.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I searched for Computer Repair and Computer Maintenance at Amazon and came up with those results. Looks like there are some other worthy books out there, but I suspect that Mueller reigns supreme in that arena, as Meyers does in the A+ certification realm.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  6. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

I have never really brought any book in this area, I only buy books for exams and that cover requirements eg MS press and Meyers.

However, Scott Mueller book is probably one of the most highly regarded repair reference books

Again i learnt by messing around with computers as a kid and been a partner in a repair shop in the 90's

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  7. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Scott Mueller does appear to have the 'de facto' book for that area - in that it's about five inches thick, and contains possibly everything you may need to know.

But I find they go 'out of date' quickly - and tend to use Google or InformIT labs and reference books (via Safari online) for what I need.

Try getting the A+ lab manual of some shape or flavour - again, the Meyers one is quite good and a decent bench reference.

The only unfortunate thing is that a lot of the books that *were* decent (PC Repair Bench Book by Gilster being one) haven't been updated for half a decade, so are now becoming nauseatingly irrelevant.

There is of course the PC Technician Street Smarts by one *cough* unknown Mr James Pyles. It serves as a good bench reference as well given it's A+ orientation.

If it's software as well as hardware you're looking at, then the MS Press range of 'Administrator's Pocket Consultant' books are quite excellent. There are ones specifically aimed at XP. I have the XP Pro second edition one, and the Windows Command Line book (which has proved excellent in some development work I've been doing for first line procedures). Next in my sights is the GPO book, and maybe something on Server 2K3 as I start to break my lab.

To be honest, as far as hardware is concerned, I've always preferred looking at my own notes on repairs after looking up Google references. Ever thought of typing up your notes and compiling your own 'repair bible'? It's a great exercise in technical writing and instruction, and affirms the work you've done quite well as you go through the writing process of each step.

HTH.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA