1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC Inventory Script

Discussion in 'Scripting & Programming' started by AJ, May 27, 2005.

1. AJ

AJ Administrator Administrator

I've found this great little script that inventories the hardware of a pc and then exports the data into an excel spreadsheet. You can run it locally, or by adding the name of a remote PC, you can inventory a networked PC. It comes in 2 parts, the inventory part and the conversion part.

My question is, how can I use the inventory part to do a whole room of computers in one hit rather then having to change the computer name in the script each time. I did think about using it as part of a login script, but this needs doing like yesterday and some of the PC's will not be used for a while.

Here's the Link and attached is the script.

Thanks for your help

Attached Files:

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Looking at doing ..................
  2. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

couldnt you add a loop into it that reads the machine names from either an LDAP query or at worst a text file (one machine per line), loads the names into an array and loops through them one by one?
    Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  3. zcapr17

zcapr17 Nibble Poster

Have you tried Lansweeper?

Granted, it's not quite as simple as the script above, but have a look at the demo - it gives a fantastic amount of information and even works with SQL. [​IMG]

It took me about 30 minutes to set up the first time. Since then, I have used it very successfully to manage all hardware and software inventorying for many clients.

Certifications: MCSE:2K3 MCTS:Vista VCPv3 ITILv3 Sec+ L+
    WIP: MCITP Enterprise Admin 2008, CCA
  4. AJ

AJ Administrator Administrator

Thanks a lot for your help guys. I tried the Lansweeper and I've got to say it is the dogs dangly bits. Took a little bit of tweeking but just added the client .exe into the logon script and viola machines inventoryed as client logon.

Thanks a lot Z. :biggrin
    Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Looking at doing ..................