Passed the ICND2!!!! Looking for thoughts or suggestions on the job hunt.

Discussion in 'Routing & Switching' started by bradwmetal, Aug 27, 2011.

1. bradwmetal

bradwmetal Bit Poster

I just passed the Icnd2 for my CCNA!!!! Now I need to look for work in the IT field. I have NO experience in the field, but I did go back to school for an Associates in Networking, and Network Security. I have a BS in MIS that I earned in 1991. Long story short, I ended up in retail and not MIS. I now have the CCNA, CCENT, Security+, and A+. My background is many years of retail store management. I realize employers want experience, and I will have to start at the bottom and work my way up ( hopefully the CCNA will get me slightly higher than that?).
    Does anyone have any suggestions on what job titles I would search for, ways to get in the door, Etc.
    I also recently joined AITP, ACM, and IEEE Computer society ( as a student member while I still have my student email). I am checking out when upcoming meetings are to try to make some contacts. I am working on a current resume, which is hard when all my experience is as a store or assistant manager. I am finding it hard to figure out how to best do it ( I will get it though, eventually). I would think that working in retail for years could be turned into an asset, since I can deal with the public and stressful situations that came up in the stores.

Any ideas or suggestions, leads?
    I am in Mississippi, USA, but I am willing move within a couple of states if needed.

I would like to add, that I found a lot of helpful studying suggestions on Certforums while studying for the exam. My thanks to all the forum people out there. :D

Thanks,
    Brad

Last edited: Aug 27, 2011
    Certifications: CCNA,CCENT, A+, Security +
    WIP: Linux? Microsoft?