1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Passed N+, what next?

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by livingwater, Apr 28, 2011.

1. livingwater

livingwater Bit Poster

I was a secondary school teacher in my mid 40’s and decided to leave. Took the A+ and found another job working for a Training Provider that trains mechanics, carpenters etc who have to do Maths, English and ICT and I am their ICT tutor.

I’m also their one and only network administrator (yes, just me). Obviously I jumped at the chance of this job after six months of being out of work. I can now say ‘I have experience’. I made it clear at interview that my A+ and the N+ I was working towards did not qualify to run a network, especially on my own. Anyways, I got the job. They are running server 2003.

Just passed my Network on the 20th April - scored 824.

The point of my post is to understand what to do next. I have looked around (and posted on) this site and looked at Microsoft sites and find the qualifications very confusing. I have read Craigie’s ‘Microsoft Certification Road Map’ (thanks Craigie) and although this is a useful reference for me it still leaves me a little daunted as to what to do next or what makes up a qualification. I think this is my road map: advice would be welcome:
    Which I think qualifies me as a MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician

Which I think qualifies me as a MCITP: Server Administrator?

I realise that these deal with server 2008, but thought they would do (I’m thinking towards the future here)

Thanks in advance – Livingwater
    Certifications: A+, N+
  2. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

Those are windows 7/Server 2008 certs. You'd be better looking at certs which back up your experience first, such as the MCSA. Personally I think certs should mirror your experience first and foremost so if you choose the client exam for the MCSA that matches the client OS you support on a day-to-day basis, you'll pretty much cover all your experience. You can then look at exams outwith your documented work experience.

That's my tuppence worth.
    Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  3. livingwater

livingwater Bit Poster

Thanks for the reply, and I have done a little more research and I am still very confused on what to do next. So I thought I would simplify my question. Now I have passed my N+ would these exams be a good next step?

Certifications: A+, N+
  4. alexdc12

alexdc12 Kilobyte Poster

thats the path im taking :D
    Certifications: GNVQ Advanced IT, CompTIA A+, CompTIA N+, 70-680
    WIP: 70-685, ITIL v3 Foundation