Passed ITIL v2

Discussion in 'Other IT certifications' started by Ruoste, Jan 30, 2009.

1. Ruoste

Ruoste Bit Poster

Hello, I'm pretty new here and I need somekind of advice.

Couple days ago I passed ITIL v2 with score 32/40 80% after two day training course. I was very nervous and I spent whole 60 minutes when doing the test. But result was better than I expected.

What's next? I have little bit more than 2 years ServiceDesk experience, and I might need more certs to get my career flying.

I have been thinking of Mcdst or CCNA, or perhaps some CompTIA (but it seems that in my country they won't arrange CompTIA tests often). I'm more interested of process / ITIL side, but technical certs wouldn't hurt. My company it's not paying those certs (they paid ITIL) so I should study at home and buy books, and that it's not an problem. Is Mcdst too "old" and I'm not sure is that so big benefit for me(?)

Sorry for my bad english. Please, tell me your opinions. :)

Certifications: ITIL v2, MCDST
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

The MCDST would be a great certification to pursue. It's still highly relevant, considering most businesses still use XP heavily.

I'd also recommend the A+ and Network+, if you don't already have them.

Won't arrange them? Dude, you sign up for them whenever you want, just like you would a Microsoft or Cisco exam. Just go to the Prometric or Vue Web site and sign up for whatever times are available. In truth, you should have MORE opportunities for CompTIA exams, since they use both Prometric AND Vue; Microsoft uses only Prometric, and Cisco uses only Vue.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Congrats on the pass, any reason why ITIL v2 and not V3?

As for the MCDST, is it old? Well it was introduced in 2004. Will it expire? No, the MCDST will not expire.

Yes, it is geared up for XP, but considering that XP will be supported by MS at least until 2014 - that's 5 more years...

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. Ruoste

Ruoste Bit Poster

I found one test centre more which arrange CompTIA certs near by my place. ITIL is my first and only cert.
    I took v2 because my company doesn't arrange many v3 courses and our company's ITIL person recommended v2.

Thanks guys! I will re-consider of MCDST and CompTIA's Network & Security certs.

Certifications: ITIL v2, MCDST