passed CCNA 1/2 what's my next step?

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by impy, May 16, 2008.

1. impy

impy New Member

Hi there

I've got a few question in regards to what my next step should be with the CCNA.

I'm just wrapping up my degree in computer networking and last summer completed parts 1 and 2 of the CCNA and was intending to finish 3/4 this summer but it appears that my uni won't be running the CCNA courses over summer like it has usually done, I'm still waiting to hear from the summer school organisers what exactly is happening but I need to consider the options if it's off.

I was thinking of looking elsewhere to do the courses but after having a quick look around I can't find anywhere that starts during summer so if I was to go that route I'd need to wait quite a while.

So that leaves me with skipping the 3rd and 4th module and going straight to the exam. When I say skipping I mean in terms of signing up for the official courses. I would actually be doing those modules and would still have access to cisco hardware to work on whilst studying for the final exam.

So with that my questions are:
    Can you sit the CCNA exam without completing all 4 modules?
    If you can, is it recommended to skip them and go straight for the exam?

and lastly, is the new structure to the ccna in effect yet if so do I need to do exams for one of those or just the current CCNA exam?

Cheers.

2. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

impy,

When you mention "...completed parts 1 and 2 of the CCNA..." are you talking about being a student in the Cisco Networking Academy?

Yes, you may sit the CCNA exam without completing all 4 modules.

No, I do not recommend to skip semester 3 and 4 prior to going straight for the exam.

Yes, the new structure to the CCNA is in effect. The current CCNA exam number is 640-802 CCNA. This is known as the "single exam option" to achieve CCNA certification. There is also the "two exam option" to achieve CCNA certification. The two exams that you would need to take and pass are: 1) 640-822 ICND1 and 2) 640-816 ICND2.

Hope to hear back from you with the answers to my question.

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  3. impy

impy New Member

Yeah by parts 1 and 2 I was meaning those parts of the net acad course.

Cheers for the information

4. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

impy,

Near the end of CCNA2, did you take an "640-821 INTRO discount" exam?

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  5. impy

impy New Member

Nope as of yet haven't taken any exam other than the small end of unit ones for the academy modules