Passed 70-272 MCDST rah!!

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by dalsoth, Feb 20, 2009.

1. dalsoth

dalsoth Kilobyte Poster

Passed 70-272 this morning:biggrin

Scored 861. Did a couple of days study on stuff like Outlook Express. The MeasureUp was pretty accurate to the real exams or slightly tougher and i was passing those in the last day or so.

Now i just need to start studying for 70-291. I won't be expecting an easy pass there!!!

I think a week of rest and then i will plan for a month or two for this exam considering its reputation.

Thanks for the support again guys. I would probably have not done these exams and went straight for 291 if i had not had the encouragement. I am glad i did now because it takes me on my MCSA route a bit quicker.

Certifications: MCSE, MCP, MCDST, MCSA, ITIL v3
    WIP: MCITP EA
  2. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Well done on the pass!

You will soon be catching me the rate your going :)

Don't forget that if you go onto the MCSE, the MCDST does not count as an elective, but it's good to have on your CV to show progession.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Congrats on the pass :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. loneferret

loneferret Byte Poster

Again congrats on the new cert.
    Going through them like hot knife through butter aren't you... lol
    Félicitation! Congratulations once more.

Certifications: MCDST/N+/L+/i-Net+/CIW/OSCP/OSCE
    WIP: MCTS 70-662
  5. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

congrats:thumbleft

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  6. dalsoth

dalsoth Kilobyte Poster

Thanks guys. I have been burning through my holiday from school on these certs but has been worth it. I wish i could have had a real break but i can rest when i'm dead :p

Yeah i know about the MCSE path not recognising the MCDST but i figured that i wanted it before it was no longer relevant anyway and intend to upgrade it to MCITP by doing 70-621. As i understand it, this upgrade exam from the MCDST also counts the same as the Vista 70-620 anywhere else that accepts the 70-620. If i am correct, this would mean i could use the upgrade cert 70-621 for the MCSE elective exam (because it takes the 620) and use my current 70-270 for the client part of the MCSE. The bit i was unsure of was whether you would be allowed to use the Vista stuff as an elective and also use 270 XP as the client. I think you can.

Maybe that made sense and maybe it did not. I hope someone can clarify that if they do understand :D

For the MCSE i really want to do Exchange 2003 and ISA 2006 at some point further down the line. I work with both and feel it would benefit me in my career to fully get to grips with them both and certify.

Once i am 50 years old and i have achieved all this i will then look to upgrade to the latest stuff 2008 etc:biggrin

Oh and i doubt i will be catching you anytime soon Craigie!!!:D

Happy days for a while. Time to fire up UFO series computer games and watch my Thudercats DVDs i have not allowed myself to watch up till now!

7. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Congrats:D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  8. tbone152

tbone152 Nibble Poster

Congrats. :D

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST
    WIP: 70-270
  9. mattstevenson

mattstevenson Byte Poster

Very well done. ^_^
    The 70-271 and 272 may well turn out to be my next exams I take. How did you find them?

Certifications: Triple A+. Network+, CCENT
    WIP: MCP, ICND2, Sec+
  10. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Congrats!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  11. dalsoth

dalsoth Kilobyte Poster

Hi Matt

I am sure the exams would be quite hard for someone who had no experience of XP. I have quite a bit and that goes for previous operating systems also. If i say the exam was easy it only really relates to how i found it myself. I did have the 70-270 under my belt from last year and the 70-290 also only a week or so back. These certs along with my experience on this stuff for a fair few years made the MCDST seem doable in a week or so. I doubt i would have been so confident (i wish) otherwise. I still studied hard and was up at 6am this morning reading the Cramsessions revision guide for this exam to get me in the mood.

The hardest of the exams i have taken so far is 70-270. It was my first cert and i studied for 2 weeks solid during a school holiday if i remember right. I know others will laugh at that but even with a fair few years supporting XP there were things in the studies that i had never had to do in real life. Faxes were the bane of my life with that. I still hate the little gits.

My brother may take the MCDST certs in the near future. He does not work in IT but i think if he studied the MS Press books he could pass in 2-3 weeks study. That is what i have advised him. He is quite clever and enjoys doing stuff on computers. I considered taking the MCDST at the local college many times but the time scales put me off. I can't do 1 day a week for 17 weeks or something. I would die of boredom. I am very impatient.

My advice, grab the books and study hard for a few weeks. Take the MeasureUp tests with the books and see how you do on the questions inside the books and you will know if you are ready. Sure you will ace it.:)

Long answer and still don't think i answered it properly...:oops:

12. StormTHX

StormTHX Byte Poster

Congrats! You knocked the second one out quickly!:rocks

Certifications: MCDST, MCP (210), A+, ITIL Foundations
    WIP: Taking a break then onto MCSE
  13. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

congrats