Passed 218 to become MCSA

Discussion in 'Network Infrastructure' started by Taz69, Dec 20, 2003.

1. Taz69

Taz69 Byte Poster

I've finally managed to get back to the exam room and tackle the 218.

I'm not sure if it because I'd done the 216 or down to the fact that I am actually working on a network on a day-to-day basis but I'm shocked by how straightforward this exam was.

I was thinking of putting the exam off till Jan and using the xmas break to do some studying. I've not spent much time studying this one and only decided to go for it after getting a reasonable 75% on the transcender without much prep.

I must admit that it does cover a lot of ground but doesn't go into as much depth any of the previous exams though. I expect the trickier bits were on GPOs, RRAS & VPNs, DNS and of course share/NTFS permissions.

Without hands on experience in a windows 2000 enviroment someone with A+ & N+ as their elective might find this a tougher exam because of the range of awarness of a windows enviroment required.

For the record I came out of the examroom with a pass and a score of :drummer

1063. :yep :yep :yep

Certifications: MCSE: S, MCSA:M, MCSA: S, Net+ & 70-284
    WIP: MCSA 2003 & MCSA:Messaging 2003
  2. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

That's excellent.

Well done Taz :evil

3. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Taz - you am de Man - WHAT A SCORE !!!!!!! :eek:

Get on the outside of lots of cold stuff tonight, Mate :alc

1063 ??? Bl00dy H€ll - d@mn nearly broke the meter, I'd guess :P

OK, then - me next .......

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  4. Mark

Mark Bit Poster

Nice one Taz, I reckon you must have only got 1 maybe 2 questions wrong, I think the max score (which seems to be shrouded in secrecy) is 1100, which would make the passing score of 700 about 63%.
    As you know I passed 218 today, my score was 911 and I reckon I must have got about 6 or 7 wrong. Anyway its nice to get a high score but a pass is pass.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCSA+M, MCSE:2000
  5. Luton Bee

Luton Bee Kilobyte Poster

Well done to the both of you

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA, MCP, A+, Network+ C&G ICT
    WIP: CCNA
  6. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

WELL DONE

After 216 it is downhill all the way! :eek:

7. Bruins

Bruins Bit Poster

Congrats on 218

216 is a nightmare I know I just failed it :cry:
    Jumping back on that horse in the new year. :lol:

8. Taz69

Taz69 Byte Poster

Thanks... My Transcript has finally been udpated and the Welcome pack is in the post :D

Hope you all have a great Xmas.

@Mark. I think you are right about 1100 being the max score. I had 4 Full bars and only a little dink in the 5th bar. I'm guessing I got 1 - 2 questions wrong myself.

@Bruins. Sorry things didn't go to plan but I'm glad to hear you ain't letting a little mauling put you off. Good Luck with your next battle

@you all Thanks again and have a great Xmas......

9. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

You are great! When I grow up, I want to be you! Have a good one.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  10. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Sad to hear of the 216 fail - it is not the easiest of the core exams but is passable. Good luck on your resit. What study materials are you using?

11. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Nice work Taz, WELL DONE :cheers2

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  12. Richardod

Richardod Bit Poster

TAZ,
    Just a quick question why did you take the 216 before the 218 in the track I have seen from the NITLC the 216 is taken after you are MCSA qualified and is one of the exams needed for the MCSE.

13. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

Richardod, 216 is one of the electives for MCSA. If you are going to go on to complete the MCSE you may as well take it as an elective for MCSA so that it counts towards both. This link details all the exams which count towards the MCSA.

HTH

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  14. Taz69

Taz69 Byte Poster

Hiya Richardod. Phil is right that I was edging my bets by going for somthing on both the MCSA/SE tracks.

I must admit that the 2153 sounded like essential stuff to know. I'd also heared of the 216's rep and decided that I fancied a challenge :twisted:

I must admit that I was glad that I had taken the 216 because I ended up getting a job at the local training centre because I'd
    1. Funded the course myself and
    2. Passed it first time :D without taking the easy route and braindumping !!!

It seems that some employers value a MCP/SA with the beast and actually look at the transcript to see if it is there. I've heared that other employers with knowledge of certification will also be more likely to hand you the serverroom keys with the 216 on your CV. Originally I thought this to be training centre sales talk. I've found it might not be too far from the truth ;)

Studying to pass the 216 gives you a good headstart on the basic skills needed to become a network technician/administrator and I feel that the 216 is a MUST DO!!! rather than a 'avoid as long as you can'

15. Reders

Reders Bit Poster

Hi Taz69,

What's your view on the A+, N+, 70-210, 215, 218 route?

16. Taz69

Taz69 Byte Poster

Oops sorry I thought I'd already responded Reders :oops:

Hopefully better late than never.

I think the MCSA by any route is an excellent cert and should demonstrate to employers that you do have the skill set to administer a network.

Mind you I can also understand why some employers will look for the 216 on the CV and when I started working for IT Base I didn't actually have my MCSA but because I did have the 216 I was offered the job.

I do feel that the skills I picked up studying for the beast prepared me pretty well eventhough that first IT job can still be a steep learning curve. Having to have studied in depth to pass the 216 meant that I was allowed to perform tasks which normally wouldn't be given to someone so new to the job.