Outlook Question

Discussion in 'Software' started by greenbrucelee, Feb 18, 2008.

1. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I have Office XP installed on my PC, I do not use Outlook at all if I go to delete the Outlook desktop Icon I get a message saying "The Outlook Desktop Icon provides special functionality and we recommend you do not remove it".

What functionality does it provide? and why is it important?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  2. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Its like the IE icon - it allows you to change your mail settings and stuff related to them. If you don't use Outlook, then I guess you could go ahead and delete it anyway - though having never tried it I'm not sure whether its possible. If its not, and you still want rid of it, there must be a setting within Office XP to not show it on the desktop, or a registry edit you can make that will get rid of it.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  3. greenbrucelee

I dont use IE either and I have deleted that with no problems, I'll have a look and see if there is anything in the settings.

4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

You could always un-install Outlook, that would not only remove the icon but the program as well :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. greenbrucelee

Myabe I will if I ever decide to use it I can always reinstall. Cheers Ken & Zeb

6. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

I like Outlook personally. I just managed to get hold of a copy of Office SBE 2007, so upgraded over the weekend. Looks quite nice actually, I like it.

You can just delete the icon, I believe the message gives you the option to delete it. and yes, the only extra functionality it gives is that the context menu has config options that you can use, rather than having to dig into the control panel to get to the mail settings.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  7. greenbrucelee

ahh right, I have no need in the mail setting so I'll take it off.