ONE Machine Won't pick up Policies....WHY

Discussion in 'Software' started by Greebo, Oct 17, 2004.

1. Greebo

Greebo Byte Poster

Hi peeps, I know its been a while but been a tad busy with one thing or another and unless I'm at work, I'm not at the computer anymore (basically too knackered when I get home to bother!! Lol)

Right then..............I KNOW you guys will be able to help (I have confidence in ya :) ) so here goes

I received 4 new machines at work the other week. With each machine, I go through the process of formatting, installing WinXP Pro, Naming, Adding to Domain etc. Once added to Domain, I put the machine in the relevant group and then normally upon its next re-boot it picks up the policies and automatically installs Office 2003.
    Well that its how its happened for EVERY machine that I've done (over 200!) EXCEPT for ONE :rolleyes: I don't know wtf is happening to this machine but it just WON'T pick up the policy. I have re-done it several times with no joy (but plenty of frustration!). I read the logs which told me that it cannot contact the domain controller but it IS getting IP etc. Think I have to do something in regedit to resolve this (making sure it waits for network) but lost :blink

So come on guys.............HELP PLZ.............Before I end up chucking it outta the window!
    PS.........I have NOT installed SP2 (before you ask Lol)

2. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

Hi Greebo, good to see ya. How's the job going?

Well if we start with the obvious, when you add the machine to the domain, does it show up in AD ok? Have you tried running gpresult to see what policies the machine is picking up?

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  3. Greebo

Greebo Byte Poster

Hi Phil :) Jobs going well altho a tad stressful as I'm trying to do everything on my own as don't have any help :(
    Yeah, AD picked up the machine ok and then I added it to the relevant group. I've done this on loadsa others but for some reason, this machine won't play ball :cry:

I haven't tried running gpresult (coz I didn't know about it Lol) but as far as I'm aware, its not picking up ANYTHING :( Obviosly NOT at work today so I can't tell you specifics either, only whats in my memory (bugger all Lol)
    It tries briefly but as I said, in the machine log it says that it can't contact the domain controller :blink

4. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

I don't know, you only post when you want something lol :biggrin

Had this prob before cause we are using a Gigabite connection from th main routing switch. Is this the case? What is in the event log, you mentioned something was in it but what was there event code?

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  5. Greebo

Greebo Byte Poster

I know :oops: bad eh m8 ......... but I came HERE coz its the most reliable place to get help from :D

Regardless of connection mate, this is the ONLY machine on the entire N/W that is throwing a mental??????? and for the life of me I can't figure out why :hhhmmm

6. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

lol still need to know what the event log says. :biggrin

BTW where did you leave the biscuits :dry

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  7. Greebo

Greebo Byte Poster

Your no good at hide n seek are you Lololol

I'll try and get on here tomorrow when I'm at work then I can tell you exactly :)

8. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Is it possible that there is a naming conflict with the machines?

BTW I found the biccies behind the coffee cups.:biggrin

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685