1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

One Liner

Discussion in 'Scripting & Programming' started by Nelix, May 16, 2017.

1. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

I really must brush up on my powershell.

I have the following one-liner commandlet:

Import-Csv D:\Temp\AUP.csv | Foreach-Object {Get-ADUser $_.SamAccountName | Select -Property SamAccountName, Enabled} | export-csv D:\Temp\AUPRESULT.csv –notype –append

IT works great, however when it comes across a SamAccountName that does not exist, it throws an error on screen but writes nothing to the output file.

I would like it to add something like "SamAccountName does not exist" to the output file, I would also like to keep it to a commandlet rather than a script.

Can anyone help?

Cheers

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 74-409
  2. Shadowrunner

Shadowrunner Nibble Poster Premium Member

I don't think it's something you can do in a one liner unfortunately. You need a script with a Try/Catch block, something like:

Import-Module ActiveDirectory
    $Users = Import-CSV c:\Temp\aup.csv

$Output = Foreach ($User in $Users){

Try
    {Get-ADUser $User.SamAccountName | Select -Property SamAccountName, Enabled}

Catch
    {Write-Host "User $($User.SamAccountName) does not exist"}

}

$Output | Export-Csv C:\Temp\AUPResult.csv -NoTypeInformation

I don't think you can include the caught errors in the output CSV though, as they don't fit the format. It might be possible with a much longer script to manipulate the data, but that's probably unnecessary here.

SR

Certifications: GCSE IT
    WIP: VCP6-DCV