OK. Now that I know what part of Wales looks like

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by ffreeloader, Sep 20, 2007.

1. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

take a look at the the following areas. All are within a couple of hours drive from my house, and the northern end of Hell's Canyon is only an hour away by boat ride.

The Imnaha River Canyon is about 100 miles away. I lived within a 1/2 hour drive of here for about a year, and within 2 hours of here for 30 years or so. It's one of my most favorite places to go, but it's not a tourist trap so you have to be careful about when you go if you don't have a 4-wheel drive. The photo's, as beautiful as they are, do not give you the scale and grandeur of the valley. Nor do they adequately illustrate that the air is so clear that something 2 or 3 miles away seems so close you can almost reach out and touch it.

Wallowa Lake is not far from the Imnaha Valley: about 10 or 15 miles away. There are about a half dozen or so more pictures of the Wallowa Lake area. Just click on the "next" link at the top left of each picture.

This picture of Hells Canyon is taken about a 5 or 6 hour drive to the south of us. It's the very southern end of the canyon. Here is an aerial panorama of Hells Canyon. You can float it, hike the canyon, or take jet boat rides through it that last for a full day. It's an amazing place.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  2. aw69

aw69 Byte Poster

Such a lovely place wish I could afford to come over and fish there, I could spend the rest of my life there. Mind you there is some nice places up here as well
    http://www.northumberland.gov.uk/vg/gazeteer.html

Certifications: None
    WIP: A+ Network+
  3. ffreeloader

That's a beautiful area. I did an image search on Google for Northumberland and it has some nice sights.

Here's a Google search for the Sawtooth Mountain Range. It's in the general area of Idaho that Trip lives in. I'm not saying Boise looks like that, but the Sawtooth's are close enough he could drive there and back in a day.

I saw one the most amazing things I've ever seen in the Sawtooth Valley when I was a kid. Our family took a Saturday afternoon drive up there, and when we entered the valley we saw this white column about 200 yards or so in diameter coming out of a clear blue sky about 3 or 4 miles away and moving right across the valley. We couldn't figure out what it was until we got to where that column had been. It was a column of hail with hailstones about 3/4 the size of hens eggs. It had literally beaten most of the limbs off the trees, broken the windshields on all the cars that happened to get caught it, ruined all the camp trailers in a little camping area, etc.... It couldn't have stayed in one area more than 5 minutes, but in that time it left a couple of inches of hail on the ground and destroyed most of what was in its path.

4. aw69

aw69 Byte Poster

I live that close to Northumberland I can be there in about 30 mins and that can be Morpeth in the north and Hexham in the west and http://www.visitcountydurham.com/ in the south

5. ffreeloader

I did a few image searches on Google for those areas. Looks like there is quite a bit to do there. Lots of historical places to go see. Just how much "rural country" is there in that area?

6. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

In essence the whole of the UK is full of beautiful scenery and historical sites. Many tourists will only go to the places that they have heard about such as London or Edinburgh but the reality is that they are missing out on so much more.

For the record Freddy I live in Durham and regularly visit my parents caravan (trailer) up in Northumberland, so I can vouch for the scenery in both places! :biggrin

7. aw69

aw69 Byte Poster

This how much "rural country" in Northumberland
    Northumberland is divided into six Districts, which are:

. ALNWICK DISTRICT (31,000 people; 417 sq miles)
    . BERWICK-UPON-TWEED BOROUGH (26,000 people; 376 sq miles)
    . BLYTH VALLEY BOROUGH (81,000 people; 27 sq miles)
    . CASTLE MORPETH BOROUGH (49,000 people; 239 sq miles)
    . TYNEDALE DISTRICT (59,000 people; 858 sq miles)
    . WANSBECK DISTRICT (61,000 people; 26 sq miles)
    Not to sure about County Durham but about the same give and take a few miles:biggrin

8. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Christ, no wonder my sales used to be so bad in that territory! :blink

No really, the UK is massively beautiful. Those pictures of yours are wonderfuly Freddy, and I do enny those of you in the US - the size of the country means there must be so much diversity in the landscapes and in the wildlife you get to see.

Of course, the benefit with Britain (and living in the Midlands) is that just about the entirety of it is accessible by a 6 hour drive (or less). :oops:

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  9. ffreeloader

The biggest difference for me is that our country still has places left where you can live and not be within a days drive of a shopping mall. And I consider that to be a good thing. You poor Brits are packed together like cattle into cattlecars by comparison. Yes, we have major cities and population centers too, but we also still have some areas left where your closest neighbor will be a hours drive or so away.