Offlline files

Discussion in 'Windows 7 / 8 /10 Client Exams' started by Ally, Apr 17, 2006.

1. Ally

Ally Byte Poster

Quick scenario here:
    1 laptop running Windows XP Media Center (wireless adapter)
    1 Desktop running XP Pro (No Wireless adapter)
    1 Linksys Wireless b/band router

Want to fully sync files from desktop to laptop. I have:
    (1) mapped a network drive on the laptop to the relevant folder on the desktop
    (2) Enabled offline files on the laptop
    (3) Set sync options to both logging on and logging off
    (4) Selected 'Make available offline' on the mapped network drive on the laptop

When both the laptop and desktop are turned on creating a new file on the laptop also creates it in the desktop folder and vice-versa.
    If the desktop is turned off, i can create a file on the laptop and when the desktop is turned on i can use the tools menu to synchronise the offline folder.
    However, when the laptop is turned off and i can create a file in the relevant folder on the desktop machine but i must syncrhonise from the tools menu on the laptop everytime it is turned on.
    In order to have fully synched and consistent files should i purchase a wireless network card for the desktop, and create a wireless home network?As it stands just now, the laptop can ping the desktop but the desktop cant ping the laptop!!

Certifications: 70-270, 70-290, 70-291 & 70-294
    WIP: 70-293
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Ally,

Am I correct in assuming that what you are saying is that the Laptop does not automatically sync at startup / log off? It has to be synched manually?

Sorry if I'm misinterpreting what you are asking. :blink

3. Ally

Ally Byte Poster

It did synch initially, althougth i cant remember if i did this manually or not. When logging on or off i do not see the synchronising box that gives you details.
    However, when both laptop and desktop are both on, adding a file in the mapped drive on the laptop (enabled for offline files) immediately adds it into the desktops relevant folder. It therefore must be performing some synchronisation. Slightly confused here :dry

4. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

As it should, because they are both online. Offline files should only come into effect when the desktop is unavailable.

All I can think of is that it has something to do with it only being a mapped drive, and for some reason when you log off it doesn't register it properly? (Talking sh1t here!)

Have you tried setting the changes to sync only at log off? :blink

5. Ally

Ally Byte Poster

Lol i like your post :D
    Being a mapped drive dosent affect this in anyway, it should still synchronise properly. Remember having to do the same thing last week in work for a customer, the mapped drive he wanted synched was 12 GB!!As you can imagine this initially took a while to perform.
    I will try and play about with the options. Also the fact that the desktop cant ping the laptop perhaps indicates a firewall blocking this!! Thanks for your reply :D

6. Jellyman_4eva

Jellyman_4eva Byte Poster

Hi,

I like the sound of this problem.... (Intriguing)

Anyways if you can already map the drive and access it on the laptop, it seems like if you do have a firewall on, it is only blocking ICMP packets (pings).. so it looks OK...

For the folder on the desktop PC, have you tried sharing this folder, and configuring the caching settings for the folder and then trying to sync with it??

I would like to know how this works out...

Certifications: MCDST, MCITP-EDST/EDA/EA/SA/ MCSA 2K3/2K8, MCSE+M 2K3/2K8, ISA/TMG, VCP3/4, CCNA, Exchange, SQL, Citrix, A+, N+, L+, Sec+, Ser+, JNCIA-SSL, JNCIS-SSL
    WIP: Lots