Off to a bad start

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by neice, Jul 19, 2003.

1. neice

neice Bit Poster

:(
    Hi. Got first modules and read it and got through it OK. Having a problem though that I think is really silly. Maybe I'm complicating it to much. A question on assessment said to give the size of the hard drive in MG. Thought, fine. Went and had a look. It says it is: 6,455,987,556 bytes which is 5.99GB. For some reason my brain has stopped functioning and I know such a stupid question will give you a laugh, but it's bugging me. I don't want the answer, I want to learn. In the manual it says to round it off and all I can come up with is: 6,000,000MB, but I'm guessing thats wrong. At this rate I won't get very far................. :x
    What am I doing wrong??????
    Denise.

2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hi Neice,

I was hoping you'd pop in from Nitlc next door - I'd been following (and semi-answering) your post :P

I ain't gonna attempt the answer (and you don't want it). But please, DO NOT WORRY TOO MUCH on this one - you've fretted for 2 days over this - time lost on later stuff.

Read on, and eventually it all falls into place - it happens to me evey day, I think "jeez, that was the thing I had a problem with last week", or whatever.

Just keep reading and working. This is the challenge us non-IT types have taken on, and this is the place to share your grief, but PLEASE, don't dwell on it !

The experienced IT guys'n'gals in here have enough to offer us in terms of support, so just go at your own pace and you'll make the progress you're after.

,,,or just tell me to shut up !

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  3. neice

neice Bit Poster

Thanks for replying. I know it's been worrying me as it's simple. I'm guessing that 6,000.000MB is wrong??? If I don't get it right though I'll fail my first assessment and I always try and do my best. Do you have to get %100 before you can move on??? I really enjoyed reading over the past week and the XP manual looks really good, although I'll have to do the internet manual while I wait for my disc to come.
    No, I don't want answers as then it's cheating and I've never done that. I've been reading it again tonight and still its evading me, and I know it's simple.

Denise.

4. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Neice,

Unless Nitlc have completely changed everything, then you don't have to achieve any of the Module assessments - it's just a way of them seeing how well you're progressing. That way, they decide when to invite you to workshops.

I never actually did any of the assessments - just started reading for the exams. Saying that, still read
    the modules, but no more - when you're done GO for the A+ (if that's your first exam)

As you, like me, have said you can't do workshops anyway, then save your time and just learn, learn and learn some more, WITHOUT fretting over one single problem (there's lots more to come, believe me :cry: )

Go for it, Neice :bluegrab

5. neice

neice Bit Poster

Thankyou. For the first time in a few days I feel better. I was really worried that they wouldn't let me do the second assessment till I'd got all of the first one right. I have to do them don't I though before they send me the second lot???? I actaully am enjoying reading as this is what I've wanted to learn for years. I'm really interested. I can't go to workshops as I do have to think of the girls. They are happy for me though. Out of interest was my guess wrong??? If so, then at a later date I'll try and figure it out again.

Again, thankyou so much. I really appreciate what you said and will enjoy the rest of the evening.
    Denise.

6. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

:oops: Shucks :oops:

Neice, you don't have to complete ANY of the assessments to progress to the exam stuff - thats what you've paid for, after all ....

If you're due to do A+, then just read the modules, then start on the book - it wil cover ALL you need to known then go get your first set of letters :P

God knows how many questions your going to have when you start that one :P :P :P

7. neice

neice Bit Poster

Well, that's the impression I got. That I have to pass the first 3 to have more delivered. I will read them as obviously I'm a total novice. If I'd spoken to you a couple of days ago I'd have sent in the first one and be half way through reading the second one, although I have to do third second. I have ME and need XP for the second one. Ordered the disc yesterday.

Just hope I don't seem as thick when I move on a bit. I'll probably end up here most of the time as you gave me the best advice. I'm not impatient, but I do want to start looking for something around October.

Will start on the Internet manual tomorrow. So, will this MB problem I have sort itself out??

Denise. :D :D

8. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Listen, Neice - you ain't thick, cos your here for a reason !

The VERY FIRST question at Nitlc that I got wrong was i said I had 96Kb of RAM instead of 96Mb :oops:

As of tomorrow, read without stress, and enjoy !!! :P

9. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Good advice Jakamoko

That is true i think, when you've done the first three assessments you get the next batch of stuff sent out, but i wouldnt class them as nothing more than progression measures. As a see them the assessments are meant to help break down the course into smaller chunks and to provide you with a format to base your studies on. NITLC provide you with the questions on the website as well as the CD so you can in effect find out the answers before you take them :roll: . Think of them more as a way to get you into the format of the course and for most people that have been away from study for a while a way to stimulate those forgotten brain cells.

As Jakamoko says DONT worry too much about it come back to it at a later date, try and find another source to help you learn it later if you still cant get your head round it. But dont get hung up on it.

HTH, Si

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  10. Taz69

Taz69 Byte Poster

I hope you don't consider this cheeting but I'll try and just give a little hint.

One thing you'll discover is that computers work in binary and 1 KB is actually 1024 bytes rather than 1000 bytes.
    This is calculated as
    2 or 2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2 = 1024
    As you move on to MB and GB then things get tricky from time to time. Some times MB is 1,024,000 (1024*1000) bytes and other times it is 1,048,576 (1024*1024) or
    2 .
    One example I'll give which you might find odd is that blank DVDs state a capacity of 4.70 GB but this is actually 4,700,000 bytes or aproximately 4.35 GB depending on how you calculate things.

I should just be aware of this rather than worrying too much about it because you'll often find 1000 swapped with 1024 by manufacturers to round up capacities of certain devices.

Certifications: MCSE: S, MCSA:M, MCSA: S, Net+ & 70-284
    WIP: MCSA 2003 & MCSA:Messaging 2003
  11. neice

neice Bit Poster

Well I just did it........... So much for worrying about the hard disk. I was looking at the questions on the CD, but then did the exam online. Question wsn't even there. I did it in less than ten minutes and got 80%. Feel happier now. Wish I'd come on here first, then I would have taken it sooner.
    Taz, I don't consider it cheating as I have absolutely no idea what any of that meant. Don't forget I'm a novice. No doubt as I go along I will understand it a lot better. Now going to start on the Internet manual.

Thanks again all of you for your advice and support. Know where to come next time I'm having problems. If it were the evening think I'd celebrate with a glass or two of wine. Will tonight though. Going to sisters to cook Sunday lunch and will enjoy a few then.........

Thanks........ :D :) :D :) :D :)

12. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Well done to ALL of the above, Neice - your first victory !!!

Go enjoy the wine, now :drunk

:P

13. neice

neice Bit Poster

Flet great today. Might sound daft as I'm only just starting, but it felt good.......... I did partake in a few glasses of wine, and my sister tried to ply me with more.

Think I will get through XP easy, but internet one one might take more time, but I have lots of that. Is it very important knowing about RFC's??????

Warned you I'd ask questions??????

Denise................. :)

14. Luton Bee

Luton Bee Kilobyte Poster

Neice

It's important to know that RFC's exist, what they are used for and how to find them. It is not important to know the numbers and what they refer to. At least, I have never been asked!!

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA, MCP, A+, Network+ C&G ICT
    WIP: CCNA
  15. neice

neice Bit Poster

Hi, and thanks for the comment. Now I know they exsist, but that's about all for now.. In the manual it said to go to: www.rfc-editor.org
    I did that. Is that where I will learn what they are used for, if any are obsolete, if they are all technical etc????
    Had a good day today. I'll keep it short. Phone a local company and they have agreed to supply what I need for the course. Took PC down and he fitted more memory in without payment. He will invoice my uncle, who is paying for it. Trusting isn't he. Anyway, he said that when I've done more coursework he would give me a job. They run a networking business. Not bad, and it's local.......

Denise.........

16. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Excellent news, neice - worthwhile, or what ??? :P

Only RFC-specific question I've seen was to do with RFC-xxxx compliant equipment (can't even remember the number now). So as Luton says, be aware, but don't worry too much...

(Note to self: Neice - worry ????)
    :P

17. SimonV
    Honorary Member

Sound like a great offer if it comes through niece. Good luck on that one. 8)

Thats one more offer than alot of other poeple get, especially when you've only just started your course :!:

18. neice

neice Bit Poster

Does sound like a good offer, doesn't it?? Couldn't believe my luck. Although, in the past I've normally got the job I went for. Going to keep my fingers crossed as it's ideal. After I drop Roxy off at school, I just carry on down the same road........ Got to admit after reading messages on here etc, I did wonder if I'd ever find a job, but never look a gift horse in the mouth. Might be peanuts at first, but as long as I'm doing what I want to do I can live with that. Got to start off at the bottom......
    Just having problems now with PC. Using old one at the min. For some reason my other one can't detect the keyboard, and I've tried three other ones, and still get the same message. Anyone got any ideas what I can do to fix it???

Denise........

19. SimonV
    Honorary Member

Sounds like the keyboard port could be dead. If you have USB ports, you could use a USB keyboard.

HTH :D

20. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

You have to start somewhere...and I ought to know. I'm going through the career change thing and am doing contract work while maintaining a "day job". I'm hoping to at least score a longer term contract job so I can gain more experience and give up delivering mail in 100 degree (F not C...) weather. Glad to hear you've got such an offer right out of the starting gate.

I admire you're determination. From reading your posts, it seems like you've spent a fair amount of time being concerned about your abilities. When I first started down this road, I was afraid to even open up a PC for fear of breaking it. I'd never really done anything technical before. Now I've got IP packets and corpusles flowing through my veins. Remember the "famous" words from that "immoral" film Galaxy Quest, "Never give up! Never surrender!" Words to live by. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+