1. Luton Bee

Luton Bee Kilobyte Poster

I will soon be on Broadband via a cable modem from the above named company. As I have 2 machines I will be looking to network the connection, I was told by NTL that the interface between the modem and the PC is USB. I was wondering about a couple of things: Has anyone else got this setup and are there any gotchas to sharing it and how was it shared? I presume as it's USB i'm going to be fiddling about with ICS?

Thanks in advance

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA, MCP, A+, Network+ C&G ICT
    WIP: CCNA
  2. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

I've got NTL aswell and i used to have the connection shared using ICS, once it's set up you just leave it alone, i must admit i had a few problems setting the thing up but that was windows related and not the ISP, I now have a Linksys router which makes life alot easier and it means i dont have to leave one machine on all the time.

By the way, the modem that they provided me with was both USB and Ethernet.

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346
  3. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I dont use NTL but i do have broadband, I share using ICS and as nelix pointed out it can be a bit of a pain to set up but once set up I've never had to make any changes. If i was to have it installed over again I'd go with a router. Like Nelix says having to leave the main PC on to share the connection is not the best method. If i want to use the laptop i have to either have both PC's on or disconnect the usb modem and connect it up that way :dry A work friend had broadband installed a few wekks ago and asked the same question. He went with the router and has now fitted network points in nearly every room in the house, all he does now is start up his laptop and sit in whatever room he likes, hey presto internet. The only thing thats left on is the router.

IMO Unless you have a server running 24/7 and sharing through the server is not a problem go with a router. It will make things easier in the longterm.

HTH. SimonV

Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
    Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  4. Luton Bee

Thanks for the answers chaps.

Derek would that be the Linksys 4 port router model number AA42287 that you have?

5. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

I'll need to move to get ADSL

:(

6. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

Luton

It's the Linksys BEFSR41

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
  7. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Hi Luton

I to am with the afore mentioned company and went broadband with them some 2 years ago. They supplied me with a Terayon TJ210 Broadband modem and I was using it with a USB connector. Then my kids wanted to use the internet and I was forced to share my connection with them. I do use ICS but I changed the setup of my home network. My internet connected machine has 2 NIC's in it. 1 connected to the broadband modem and the other to my network via a 4 port hub. Everything connects into the hub and the connection is shared. I know it means I have to keep one machine on all of the time but that isn't a problem.

I found that using the modem with USB and ICS did cause me a few connectivity problems, hence 2 network cards in one machine.

HTH

Andrew

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  8. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Me too, but "the boss" says we don't have the money right now. :cry:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  9. Luton Bee

Here's an update for you all, sorry I dont have Visio so you'll have to imagine the diagram!!

Well the modem is in and the engineers made a pretty good job with the cabling, I was surprised it was basically a thinnet Co-Ax from the Grey box outside that runs round the outside of the house then through an outside wall straight into my "office". I had it up and running via one machine in no time and have quite grown to like it so 10 days or so aga I went e-shopping for the Linksys Router that Nelix (and NTL themselves) recommend. Unfortunately the cheapest supplier was unable to get any stock within a reasonable time so I purchased a D-Link 704p 4 port Ethernet broadband router and have now got it up and running (very easy to get working in basic configuration). However one of the great functions on the router is a print server capability and my printer just refuses point-blank to play with the router so now I guess I'll have to invest in a new printer!!! The D-Link also contains a firewall and something called Virtual server that allows you to add static incomming address and port mappings allowing you to access services running on your home LAN from outside. But I'll have to RTFM fully to work that out!!!

10. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Why invest in a new printer :?: Share it on your PC :!:

11. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

What he said

12. Luton Bee

I have the printer shared on one machine now but you know how it is...

I need
    I want
    I must have!!!

13. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

Boys and there toys eh!!!