No connection

Discussion in 'Networks' started by kat731, Jan 5, 2007.

1. kat731
    Honorary Member

kat731 Megabyte Poster

Hi all,

i was recovering a Vaio today for someone, siiting in their office fiddling away to correct a right mess. A bloke in there whos "good":eek: with computers had been messing around with msconfig as he said it all started going wrong when it downloaded IE7. Anyway, i tried restoring blah, but it was coughing and spluttering, so recovery. Anyway, my main question is, when i had it setup properly, connected by ethernet, i had limited connectivity (!) i spoke to their Network manager to get an IP addy, he gave me that and the DNS and alternative. He was realyy stressed, hardly anyone could log on. The (!) had gone from limited, but it was sending packets(Minimal-54) but receiving none. A guy next to me could get on by using a proxy server it had a port number and an IP. Im just really trying to learn more and not as good as some of you, and not confident in business networks. Its just i had to leave and didnt get to talk to the network guy to see if i was doing things wrong or what it was. Anyway he was probably smashing things up by then, by the sounds of it.

Kat:D

Certifications: BA (Hons), A+
    WIP: 70-685 77-884
  2. kat731
    Honorary Member

kat731 Megabyte Poster

AHEMMMMM.................:D

3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Kat,

You only use a proxy server if you are connecting to the Internet. In this case I assume that you are refering to connecting to a LAN?

4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

It depends how the network is setup, if the IT guy gave you a static I.P for DNS it may be that one of the DNS servers was down or perhaps the DHCP server was not giving out the correct I.P.

In regard to the proxy server that may have been configured in IE or was not migrated over with the upgrade to IE7 for some reason. The details could have been entered in the connections tab in internet options.

When in doubt check the PCs around you and have a look at the config, that’s the quickest way to get some clues to how the network is configured. :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. kat731
    Honorary Member

kat731 Megabyte Poster

Thanks Spark,

appreciate the reply. Its difficult when im trying to understand net probs in a commercial environment. People in the know are so busy, and dont have the time to explain it. Just like to know possible explanations so i can learn...
    Kat :D

6. kat731
    Honorary Member

kat731 Megabyte Poster

Si, yeh,
    i think so.... you know what its like in an office... no one really knows whats going on, so, in trying to learn, im guessing along the way........trying to pick up anything along the way without looking stupid...

Kat

7. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Kat,

The Network + course will give you a good introduction to networking mate. What book are you using? How far have you got?
    I found the Sybex one very good. Dry, but conceise, clear, to the point and one of my favourite references.

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  8. kat731
    Honorary Member

kat731 Megabyte Poster

Thanks Si,
    yeh, just got the Meyers N+ book, reading it to give me a better insight, just when your'e there, its different if you know what i mean?

Kat

9. Sparky

Yeah, I know what you mean. The amount of new networks I have taken on and had to figure out for myself can be a nightmare but once you get an idea of what to check it gets easier in time.

Running an ipconfig /all at the command line will give you some info in regard to the subnet, gateway and also the domain. If you can’t get internet connectivity then try pinging the gateway, if it doesn’t respond then you know there is a connectivity issue on the LAN. Also check out your surroundings, if everyone else can connect then obviously it’s an issue with the laptop or that particular port that is being used.

Don’t be afraid to check another users PC\Laptop to get some more info on what the config is and even patch the laptop into another port (assuming the port is patched in) to see if that resolves the problem.

Hope this helps! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  10. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Kat, if the IT guy there was pulling his hair out the chances are that the main issue is not going to be with the client set ups but with either hardware ie switches etc or one of the servers which is providing necessary TCP/IP services like DNS. For example, without DNS working, people running Windows 2000 or XP will have trouble logging in and problems accessing resources eg shares/printers etc. As has been said if the DHCP server is down, the clients give themselves IP addresses in the APIPA range, that will also break connectivity with other boxes, servers etc on the network.

You might also want to get a book specifically on TCP/IP, it is a HUGE subject and it's well worth spending the time to become familiar with it so that you can troubleshoot and understand why things sometimes don't work. Windows, Unix and Netware all now use TCP/IP and of course the Internet is all TCP/IP based.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  11. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

We sometimes get the same error message at work.

The computers use WinXP Sp2 with realtek LAN NIC's. This error usually occurs when an engineer gives a static IP address rather the one automatically setup by networks.:rolleyes:

What type of LAN card is in the laptop Kat?

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  12. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Hmmm I wonder if the router has been reset?:hhhmmm

Might be worth a try?

13. Sparky

static I.P for a workstation? not the best idea, use DHCP when you can 8)

14. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

True sparky, however one of the guys at work in the IT department is a rogue he likes to do it his way rather than follow procedures:rolleyes:

15. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

That's bad, may be he should not be working in the IT department, if he cannot follow the procedures.

I don't conform to rules in the outside world, still with in the law mind you :twisted:, like to do things my own way, but when it comes to a work environment I have to grin and bear it, however when i was younger I used to argue that rules were rubbish and that I knew better, 10 years on, I see things in a whole new light. 8)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  16. Sparky

Tell him he is doing things the wrong way, which he is, hee hee! :biggrin