NITLC

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Leec, Feb 20, 2004.

1. Leec

Leec New Member

Hi,

I'm am interested in taking my MCSE exams along with CCNA & Network+. I have had a visit from an NITLC sales person and they have informed me that it will cost £3900 for the above. I have also priced the
    books for the above and also exams and this comes out a lot less expensive.

The question I'm asking is it worth the extra money to go with NITLC or is it better to buy the books and do it myself.

Lee

2. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Hi Lee

Good to see somebody is at the start of the long journey to gaining lots of IT certification.

The question you ask can only be answered by you! The answer will depend on a number of factors and I list some that spring to mind here

a) Are you currently working in IT

b) Do you find distance learning easy

c) Do you need or want to attend several workshops

d) Do you like the documentation supplied by NITLC

e) Do you require the support of a group of tutors

There will be several questions that you can come up with. What ever you decide I wish you the best of luck in all your studies and I will add make sure that you study Window 2003 as MS have published a retirement date for 2000.

HTH

3. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hi Lee, welcome to the Forums :D

As well as echoing what Sandy says, I'd point you to a similar Thread here for some more opinions on MCSA / MSCE with Nitlc.

Whatever your decision, you're more than welcome as a Member around CertForums. Why not drop a post in the New Members Forum when you feel up for it ?

Good luck with your studies :D

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  4. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  5. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

I can only add to what the others have said. Of course if you can manage studying with a book and no telephone back up then do it yourself. This place is just as good as any phone support (you can prob get an answer to any problem within a couple of hours).

If you think you need that benifit of talking to someone then sign up (lot of money though).

Anyway, that's my 2 shillings worth, but what ever, this forum is worth its weight in gold for advise, support and just making the whole studying thing a bit lighter on the grey matter.

Good luck

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  6. Leec

Leec New Member

Thanks for your replys guys

I am currently in the I.T. industry I am currently an I.T. Manager for a group of 5 companies and have been for about 5 years. All the I.T. skills I have are self taught - I am the kind of person who if they don't know how to do something goes out and finds how to do it.

I have expience in installing hardware, all window OS systems plus I've also installed window 2k small business server in a few different loacations. My problem from the exam point of view is that knowing how to do the above is not necessarily knowing how to do it the correct Microsoft way. So I decided it was time for me to buckle down and get some proper certification.

I currently have a small home lab setup

1 PC with XP professional
    1 PC with MS Server 2003 (I got the trial version today).

I have priced the books up and can probably get the MCSE, CISCO and Network+ one for about £300 plus the exam fees.

All I am unsure about is will I need the tutors and if I do how good are they?

And what are the books like especially the MSPress ones as these are the one I've priced up - are they easy to read? are they boring?

Lee

7. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Buy the materials you need yourself.There's so much help you can get for free, why pay for it.
    Also, if your already in IT, why not get your employers to pay for your training, it's worth an ask at least.
    Apparently companies get benefits if they have a MS certified professional working for them.The others will know more about this, so you can pass this on to your employers
    Seeing as though you work for five separate companies, splitting the cost between them shouldn't be too ahrd for them.

Personally I don't see the point in signing up for CCNA, Network+, and MCSE all at the same time, too much pressure on yourself.
    Why not just do the MCSE and Network+, then if your up for it, go and do the CCNA.

8. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

I tend to go with Flex on this one , Lee - you sound like you're not afraid to learn, and to be honest, I think you'll find as much help around here, and elsewhere on the Net, that the significant extra amount of £$€ to sign up with Nitlc/other basically just for Tutors you may never call upon isn't justified.

IMHO :D

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  9. AndyL

AndyL Nibble Poster

I agree with Flex, I paid NITLC £3,500 and then used them very little. If you're already in IT and know how to use the internet and places like this I reckon you could save yourself the money.

Certifications: MCSE 2000,2K3,MCSA:M 2000, MCSA 2K3
    WIP: Painting the doorframes.
  10. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

I wanted to wait until people with experience of NITLC answered before putting in my 2 pennies. I agree with Flex and Andy, Given your IT experience and home Lab already I'd just get the books and get on with it. You just need the commitment to push yourself to do it, you won't have tutors or a large hole in your pocket motivating you to complete the course. You can always come here and we'll harangue you into studying if you like :D

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  11. Leec

Leec New Member

Thanks for the advice guys - I'm glad I found this place.

I've almost decided to buy the books myself and not bother with a training company. What would you recommend I do first Network+ then MCSE modules or just crack on with MSCE and not worry about the Network+?

Lee

12. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Lee

If I was to do it all again I'd do Network+ first (think about doing A+ before you start).

The exam is not as difficult as an MCP and it is a good intro to generic networking - the MS exams have the MS way of doing it!

But, hey what do I know! :oops:

13. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

p.s.

Find a good computer shop and look at lots of study materials.

I did not feel the MS books covered the exam materials ( they are designed to be used on a tutor led workshop and are as dry as dry can be) my own favorite is Sybex.

14. dirtyh

dirtyh Bit Poster

thanks for all that imput guys,im studying a+ at the mo dont know why as i seem to know it all.but ill perservere with it take the exams then network+.
    ill probably study at home as all info is available free(thanks in advance lol)but at the end of the day it looks bleak to me,luckily im in full/time emp not it though.

15. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

Hi

I've been looking around this forum and see a lot of people recommend getting the books and gaining the qualifications that way. I'm new to this game and was just looking into get MCSE certified via the NITLC. However, the cost of it frightened me off a tad, and my original idea of gaining qualification via the Open University was met with a 'looks nice but won't do you much good' kind of attitude.

So could one of you kind people please let me know the following:

1) What sort of literature would you need to become MCSE qualified and where would you get it?

2) Are you then able to take an exam independent of any courses, and where would these exams take place

Would this then lead you to having the equivalent qualifications to doing a whole course with the NITLC.

I know there's a lot here guys, but would relaly appreciate the help.

Thanks a lot

Certifications: None
    WIP: Trying to find my car keys
  16. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

The OU is excellent - don't get me wrong. I was with them for a few years. The pace is pretty intense, you can't afford to take a month off!
    If you want to get a degree, you're looking at about 5 years work, unless you can squash more than one course in per year, which I would advise against unless you are out of work.

There are plenty of on-line bookstores now, such as Amazon. They usually have a hefty discount, up to 50% on some stuff which is important if you're buying books for £60. Try searching for MCP number such as '70-270' rather than something like 'Windows XP' as you will get stuff that maps nicely to the course requirements.

You can sit exams at a Pearson VUE or Prometric testing centre. They are all over the place. Exams will cost you in the region of £100, give or take VAT.

As well as books, you'll need to consider some kind of practice tests, such as Transcender.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  17. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

You might also want to read the guide to self study post pinned to the top of this forum too. Lots of good information in there.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685