1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NIC problem in Windows 7

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by philbenson, Apr 12, 2010.

1. philbenson

philbenson Byte Poster

Hi Guys its a while since I posted.

I have a problem with my PC since I installed Windows 7 a few weeks ago now. Basically whenever I start the machine from a cold boot, as soon as Windows has loaded, I get the exclamation mark in a yellow triangle next to the icon in the notification area. If I disable the NIC and then re-enable it the problem is resolved. I have to do this everytime I start Windows.

Anyone got any idea what is causing this?

Thanks

Certifications: MCP, MCP+I, MCSE, MCSA, MCTS
    WIP: CCNA(?)
  2. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

No idea but I had the same problem myself. Since I've got RTM version it seems to work fine.

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  3. SimonD

SimonD Terabyte Poster Moderator

More information required, what NIC is it? what drivers are you using? what release of 7 (ie beta\rtm etc).

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
    WIP: VCP6-CMA, VCAP-DCD and Linux + (and possibly VCIX-NV).
  4. philbenson

philbenson Byte Poster

Its an Intel made mainboard and I'm using the built in NIC from that. I'm not sure exactly which board it is but when I installed 7 it recognised it straight away.

Its true that I haven't looked on the Intel drivers download page to see if there's a newer one available now. Will do that and let you know if that solves it.

Version of Windows 7 is a corporate copy of Ultimate from work for which we have a purchased product key.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2010
    Certifications: MCP, MCP+I, MCSE, MCSA, MCTS
    WIP: CCNA(?)
  5. SuPaStA

SuPaStA Nibble Poster

Is the machine actually picking up a IP address before you disable/enable the nic?

Certifications: CCNA,MCSE,ITIL,Server+,Security+,N+...
    WIP: CCNP
  6. beaumontdvd

beaumontdvd Kilobyte Poster

Sounds like a driver problem?

You tried searching for a driver update yet mate?

Certifications: 070-271, 070-272, (MCDST)Level 1,2,3 NVQ
    WIP: 070-270, A+, N+, S+,MCDST 7 Upgrade
  7. NATARAKIATOY

NATARAKIATOY Bit Poster

try to uninstall and reinstall the driver.

Certifications: MCDST, MCP,MCSA