Newbie to Virtulization, with all the gear and no idea.

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by Dubfire, Jun 23, 2010.

1. Dubfire

Dubfire Byte Poster

Hi guys,

I’m looking to learn more about Virtualization as I’m a complete novice in this field, apart from the odd virtual PC labs for study in the past. I was looking to step up the game and setting something like a server 2008 with a couple of Windows 7 clients with maybe an Exchange server, with maybe a child domain etc…Plus there have been murmurings that the company’s servers will be virtualized soon, and I’m looking for a sniff of that kind of action.

I have managed to acquire a ML115 G5 (on the guidence of the fourm) hooked up with 4GB of ram (is this enough for my requirements?). I’ve just made the leap of faith and bought a TechNet Sub (once again on the advice of this forum :biggrin). Question is which product should I use to get started – I was thinking of installing VMware Esx1 onto a USB stick ala this article . A little unsure on this one as Hyper V also looks appealing, and seeing as I now have access to server 2008, I was considering installing this. Where would everyone recommend as a starting point, which product would ideal to get started in virtualization?

I would appreciate all responses.

Certifications: N+, 270.
    WIP: 291 then 284 for the MCSA.. ITIL...
  2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

For a start put as much ram into the server as you can afford and that it can run, 4gb for the OS and any guest OS's is not going to give you much room to play\practice. To give you an idea, my main virtualisation server has 64gb of ram but my laptop runs 8gb of ram (I run Hyper-v on the laptop, ESX or Hyper-V on the server).

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

Also there is an updated article on techhead for the USB method

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  4. Steve.L

Steve.L Byte Poster

Hi

I would put 8 gigs in that server (thats the max, I have 2 of these in a cluster) should enable you to run around 10 vm's with reasonable performance using esxi as esx has a baloon memory (only uses what it needs per vm and shares the rest). Unfortunately you wont be able to play with advanced features like Ha, Drs etc as its a singular server.

Steve.L

Certifications: N+, MCP, MCTS, RHCT, VCP4 and 5, RHCSA
    WIP: ccna
  5. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  6. Dubfire

Dubfire Byte Poster

Wow, 64gb of ram in that monster! I would give my right arm to have a play on that rig:D As I stated in the first post I only have 4gb, but after careful consideration I decided to head on over to Crucial and max the thing out with 8gb.

7. Dubfire

Dubfire Byte Poster

Cheers mate, this is how I will go about installing ESXi. Will I get the full learing experience from ESXi or do I need to step up to ESX - the full fat version?

8. Dubfire

Dubfire Byte Poster