1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

newbie questions

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by plovett26, May 15, 2007.

1. plovett26

plovett26 New Member

Firstly apologies if this is in the wrong forum,but here we go.
    I've decided to study for the A+ cert as this appears to be the best starting point for a beginner,and i am intending to go down the self study route.Looking on Amazon there is quite a few books etc.to choose from and i would be grateful if anyone could suggest one that would be suitable for someone with a little IT knowledge,but for self study i would class myself as a complete beginner,so i really need study materials that don't assume a great deal of previous knowledge.
    Thanks.

2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hi,

Welcome to CF.

There is lots of material availible for the A+. It is regarded as "the" starter course. Take a look here for book advice.

Boyce

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. plovett26

plovett26 New Member

Hi,thanks for the info,Mike Meyers seems to be well regarded so i'll probably give him a go

4. Darren Wright

Darren Wright Bit Poster

5. BosonMichael
    Highly Decorated Member Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome!

I always recommend Meyers' All-in-One A+ Study Guide, 6th Edition and Pyles' PC Technician Street Smarts.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Thanks for the plug, Michael. You *still* owe me a review, tho. :wink:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  7. Deckerhobo

Deckerhobo New Member

…If you can absorb the info in the All-in-One A+ Study Guide, 6th Edition, you are a superstar. The text’s only down fall is that it is WAY more in-depth that you need for the A+ exam. The A+ is most useful when coupled with the CompTia Net+. You can use the combo A+ (or Server+) and Net+ to apply to the MCSA, which is much easier than just going head first to MS certs.
    If you really want to know the topic, All-in-One A+ Study Guide is awesome! If you just want to get the exam out of the way, with no intention of getting to the “nitty-gritty” of what is actually going on inside a box, get the A+ for dummies book. I’m not recommending A+ for Dummies book to be a jack a.., I’m just saying that the All-in-one is way more detailed than the A+ requires. The passing score on the A+ laughable it is so low. It is like 57%; It is not hard.
    What I am trying to say is that the All-in-One is great text, however, way too much info unless you want to be a bench tech.
    The author does makes it fun to read (bad jokes but amusing.) If you want to be a bench tech…read it and understand it…but if you want to be in OT, get you’re A+ any means necessary, and couple it with Net+. This will not impress employer, but it will give you a good foundation for CCNA and all things Microsoft (and Linux).

Use what ever text or study material that suit you best. Take a box apart and put it back together again…offer to repair friends and coworker computer (as long as data is not an issue); any thing you can do to get experience is A+

8. BosonMichael
    Highly Decorated Member Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I do, I do. :oops:

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. MrNerdy

MrNerdy Megabyte Poster

I did the Cisco IT Essentials I course & also read The ExamCram2 A+ 2Ed.
    Passed both Hardware & Software A+ papers 1st time and with a good score.

Certifications: ECDL, CiscoIT1 & A+
    WIP: Girlfriend & Network+