New without a clue!

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by sytimmis, Sep 23, 2008.

1. sytimmis

sytimmis New Member

Hi, howdy, hey, wassup!

Guess the best place to begin would be the beginning.

Been working in sales for 5 years for a reseller in the uk. Main areas are HP servers and storage solutions but also all and everything out there.

Want to move away from sales and into either another area. Would describe myself as creative and energetic, quite frequently find myself going 100mph at things and unwilling to stop till it's done. At the mo I'm finding things stale and am wondering if it's time to find something new

I started doing my A+ certification a while ago but didn't finish it. I'm now looking to get some certifications in order to change my career path. What I'm looking for is advice on which certifications are most likely to accelerate my career quite quickly, for exapmle, is it worth skipping on MCSA and going straight into an MCSE?

I understand that things take time but I'd really like to know which certifications carry are considered the most desirable in their field and are achievable by someone who has a reasonable knowledge of hardware and it's uses but not necessarily how to implement them.

Then there's the scary thought that I may want to go into software development instead of hardware!!!

Crikey, can anyone help me???

Thanks

Sy

WIP: A+ MCSE
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome!

It's not even worth skipping on the A+ and going straight into the MCSA. The MCSA is designed for people who have 6 months of experience administering servers in a domain environment... not 6 months in IT, but 6 months doing that job. And 12 months of experience doing server administration is recommended before pursuing the MCSE.

The recommendations are not because you can't pass the exams without the experience. In truth, it's possible to pass the exams with no experience and a good bit of study. The reason why you shouldn't pursue those certifications without the proper amount of real-world experience is because the certifications won't do you any good without the experience. Employers won't hire you for an MCSA-level or an MCSE-level job based on your certifications alone.

Unless you've got an uncle who is an IT manager who is willing to take a risk on hiring you before you have experience, there are no shortcuts. There is no substitute for experience. As you said at the beginning of your post, "the best place to begin would be the beginning." That means pursuing the A+, Network+, and/or MCDST and getting an entry-level IT job. Then, you should gain some experience and work your way up the IT career ladder from there.

Hope this helps. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Taita

Taita Nibble Poster

In my opinion the A+ is a waste of time and teaches you how to swap a few bits in a PC.

The Network+ and Server+ are better.

Certifications: A+ N+ MCP
    WIP: MCSE
  4. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Quite a few of us and myself included would disagree with you.

I am sure the others who have taken and passed their A+ really appreciate your input.

It goes into a lot further detail than that, it also covers some basic customer service skills as well.

Welcome to CF sytimmis :D

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  5. Taita

Taita Nibble Poster

I've done the A+ myself, it was my first Cert. I found that after a bit of tinkering with mine and friends computers I knew most of it.

If you are coming from a background with no technical knowledge, its good. But if you can use Recovery console (eg) then I'd say it was beneath you.

Welcome btw :)

6. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Sorry I still disagree with you I've been tinkering with computers for years and I'm still doing the A+, thinking things are beneath you is a sure fire way to set yourself up for a fall. :wink:

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  7. Dullage

Dullage Byte Poster

Hi Cy and Welcome. :D

Although the A+ might teach you things you might already know and things you may not need in the future, I'm finding it very helpful filling in the gaps when studying for the Network+.

Hope this helps.

Certifications: A+
    WIP: Network +
  8. Taita

Taita Nibble Poster

Guess its down to what you have been tinkering with and what problems you've come across :)

I found bits of the book just plain out of date too, but thats down to Comptia not the bookwriter. I think with a few dead machines of different ages, and a bit of knowledge, you should be able to do the A+ in 2 - 3 weeks max, studying in the evening.

IMHO :)

9. BosonMichael

It may seem like a "waste of time" to you... but it'll help you get your first IT job. Remember, certification isn't to teach you new stuff... it's to show employers what you know how to do.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  10. sytimmis

sytimmis New Member

I suppose I wouldn't class myself as entry level. I have a fair chunk of knowledge with PC's and servers. If I can clear A+ in a few weeks then I'd probably do it to fill in any gaps I may have. Another question I have is where the money is to be made. I know there's shed loads to be made in sales as some of my colleagues earn 100k+ but I really don't like the way I feel when I get home at the end of the day. I'm not completely moneygrabbing but I do want to earn quite a decent wage. Any thoughts and opinions would be appreciated.

11. BosonMichael

Doesn't matter what you class yourself as; employers class you as entry-level, because you don't have any real-world IT experience. I had 18 years of messing around with PCs, and 6 years as the go-to computer guy before I got my first IT job... an entry-level IT job as a field service tech.

My 18 years of "mess-around" knowledge certainly helped me to advance faster... but it didn't enable me to take shortcuts. I still needed the real-world experience before advancing to the next level and the next and the next.

That depends on your current knowledge. It's certainly possible! :)

You can earn a decent wage in IT... but it'll take time to get to that level. You don't usually make all that much when starting in IT. The good folks here can better tell you what you can expect as an entry-level salary in your area of the world.

12. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hi and welcome to the forum. :biggrin

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  13. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi Welcome :)

Until you have on the job experience you are entry level or trainee level. Do not expect a good wage for your first job it'll be a hell of a lot lower than what you earn now.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  14. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Well said:rocks

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  15. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Which year did you take your A+ was it 2003 objectives??

A+ has been revised since then. I think it's that old saying "can't run, until you learn to walk first" that comes to mind!

You might think A+ is a waste of time and money that's your opinion. But I would disagree, it's not just how build a PC that is covered in A+ There are other topics such as networking, software applications and customer related topics.

A+ gives people starting out in IT a basic foundation and proof to a future employer that you understand the basic principles/standards of hardware/software/networking.

People seem to forget certs alone will not get you a job in IT that pays (according to the TV adverrts) £45K, work experience counts (and a good reference).

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  16. Taita

Taita Nibble Poster

Was about 5 months ago.

17. sytimmis

sytimmis New Member

What's current opinion on an entry level salary in the south east with a newly completed A+ then?

18. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

http://www.itjobswatch.co.uk/ should provide you with a semi accurate base.

You can search via your cert too - Just bear in mind that just because you have the A+ doesn't mean you're guaranteed a higher salary than someone without it.

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  19. sytimmis

sytimmis New Member

Had a look at www.itjobswatch.co.uk and the minimum and average salaries.

Are these quite realistic figures?

I'm trying to work out if I can realisticaly look at changing my career, take the paycut, and still pay the bills!

I don't mind being brutally honest, I've been in my job so long I don't know what's realisticly achievable out there and it scares me?!?!

20. mickaveli2001

mickaveli2001 Byte Poster

Hi, and welcome to the forum

ps) A+ done in 2/3 weeks max??? lol I bought the guide about 3 months ago, and I'm only on chapter 4 :blink

Certifications: NC Communication/Computing
    WIP: A+