New Windows Install really stalling me

Discussion in 'Software' started by Jubei_Jedi, Aug 16, 2008.

1. Jubei_Jedi

Jubei_Jedi Bit Poster

It is not possible for me to go to the recovery or repair part as it goes straight to the partition page without showing that first.
    Otherwise i would definately be doing those checks..

WIP: A+
  2. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Even after a fresh, perfectly bootable install of the OS?

You're booting from your genuine XP CD right?

If you need a disc to boot from (preferably a floppy) then visit - http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

Edit - Almost forgot... If you prefer to use a genuine microsoft fix... visit here (I'm assuming you have XP pro). This is a link to microsoft's site which enables you to use six floppy discs as opposed to the XP CD.

Download ^^. Follow the instructions (label the floppies so you don't get confused - I've made this mistake myself in the past). Insert floppy disc 1. Boot to A:\. Follow on screen instructions.

This may help if your XP CD is being odd.

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  3. Qs

Ok... thought of something else (yes, I'm having a blonde moment).

You can actually check the HDD for errors inside the OS (I'd advise doing it using my previous method as then you're sure you're not using parts of the drive whilst scanning, but hey... it is a bit long-winded). This may help due to the randomness you've been experiencing.

Official microsoft instructions for disk error checking can be found here.

Additionally, as previously mentioned by Tim - use a manufacturer's disk checking utility too. Your drive can't be checked too many times eh? :p

Enjoy :)

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  4. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I think you will find that now the OS is installed the setup system will now go through the normal set of screens, and you will be able to get to the Recovery console.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  5. Qs

Just what I thought Harry, but hey... stranger things have happened. Could be a dodgy XP CD...

6. Jubei_Jedi

Jubei_Jedi Bit Poster

yer i just bought the cd off of amazon here and i found it a little starnge but it never takes me to that page , even from a clean install but I will see what happens tonight when i get home from work and if it is still being really slow i think i will just bite the bullet and buy a new HDD as they are only cheap anyway nowadays.
    Thank you all for your help and advice over the last couple of days with these problems.

WIP: A+
  7. Qs

Heh thought as much. Sometimes CDs with preinstalled service packs don't like to be booted to, that's probably why you're getting the randomness.

Use the link above to download either a bootdisk or the microsoft floppy pack if you wish to do disk error checking outside of the OS. Otherwise... just do one from inside the OS

All information can be found on previous posts in this thread.

Fair enough. Least you have a spare then if needs be.

We're happy to help :)

8. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Actually if you check the drive for errors using the windows GUI, it will tell you that the check will run on the next re-start and complete it, before windows is loaded.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  9. Qs

In all honesty, I've never done it through the OS so I wouldn't know. I wondered why the option to run it whilst in Windows was available... Thanks for the update though. :)