New to virtual servers

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by christoff_26, Sep 6, 2008.

1. christoff_26

christoff_26 New Member

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and would be grateful of any help. I've just began a self study course for MCSE and could do with running a virtual simulation on my computer so i can run two servers and a client. Only problem is I'm not to sure were to start. Any help would be great.

Cheers,

Chris

2. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

give this a read
    http://www.certforums.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=248672#post248672

will explain what VMWare can do.

Then have a look in the Lab Partners forum for any threads i started cause i did like a whole thing on using VMWare and creating a MCSE lab for the 290 and 270 exams!

Hope this helps! :biggrin

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  3. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Hi and welcome to CF Chris!

What experience do you have off working with computers? the reason I ask this will depend on what I recommend you do as a first step, which would be either the 70-270 or the MCDST (70-271 & 70-272).

I'm currently studying for my 70-290 and use MS Virtual Virtual PC 2007, this is a free download from MS and can be found here http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...02-3199-48a3-afa2-2dc0b40a73b6&displaylang=en

My setup is as follows:

1 x Server running MS Server 2003 Enterprise Edition
    2 x Clients running Windows XP SP2

With Virtual PC, the program is free, you can link it to use your Physical CD Drive or an ISO image to install your Server or Clients. Under settings is all the stuff you need to configure RAM, Hard Disk, Network Adapters etc.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  4. christoff_26

christoff_26 New Member

Thanks for the help. I'll check them both out.

5. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Forgot to mention, if you own Operating System is XP then you can choose from either VM Ware or Virtual PC.

If your OS is Vista, I would head down the Virtual PC route.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5