New To This !!

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by tombrogan, Mar 12, 2006.

1. tombrogan

tombrogan New Member

Hi Everyone.
    I have just started on the Comptia A+ home study using David Groth's books provided by my learning provider. Although I do know my way around a PC pretty well and have built one before, I'm new to IT and hopefully once qualified will get a job in IT.
    I'm puzzled slightly by the book I have. It seems to me so far to be more of a history lesson on technologies long since dead, rather than relevant information. Could any of you who have passed the A+ let me know if the exam covers history or is it about the nuts & bolts of the technology? I have to admit there is enough for me to remember without filling my head with useless bits of information on technologies that were scrapped 15 odd years ago unless I need to. Who knows, maybe it's just me being thick. :dunce
    I saw some other postings and saw people had given a good review of Mike Meyers All in one exam guide, so I have ordered that.
    Any info gratefully accepted. :thumbleft

2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I haven't done the A+, but one important thing to know in IT is how older technology work(s/ed).

You would be surprised ho much of that old stuff is still in use!

Welcome to CF! :biggrin

3. tombrogan

tombrogan New Member

Thanks for your help. Back to the grind stone. :D

4. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hi and welcome to CF, Tom :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  5. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

If the book spends a lot of time on pre-Pentium stuff, then it is a bit old.

Anything Pentium (or equiv) and later is fair game.

Having said which, the exams I took actualy asked very little about the early stuff - but you can't rely on that!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  6. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Welcome to CF!

I think this was asked before and the information in question then was BNC connectors.. why should we know then if they long gone? well they run at 10Mbps max so if you upgarding and dont know that one of your servers has a BNC then you will be stuck cause its history!

Ok processors are another story - but you would be suprised how many corporate machines i have stripped parts from and put into other legacy machines.. (386 and 32MB)!!! :twisted: stingy sods!

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  7. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

I only recently (and due to lack of up front information from the seller) ended up with a 10Mbps NIC that was RJ45 and BNC. Obviously, I chose to use RJ45, but at least I understood what the other connector was, and how it operates. The kit is still out there, and you may end up having to support it at some point.

Has anyone actually come up with a good term for the opposite of "bleeding edge" yet ? Could be fun .... :biggrin

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  8. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Lots of the older technology covered in the A+ in getting used in a commercial environment today. I support a client that still has some NT boxes (I have advised them to upgrade countless times!) and there are a few Linux boxes with BNC connectors!

Best of luck with the A+ studies! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  9. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Welcome to the forum mate 8)

I agree that it is worthwhile knowing the history and the legacy stuff if you have chosen IT as your profession.

BNC for example is dependant on the cabling. If you have an older building that has been wired with Co-axial or thin Ethernet, it is very difficult and expensive to upgrade to CAT5e. You need to understand this kind of problem if you are going to be advising people on their future upgrades. Also you learn more from studying older technologies. I learnt more from installing and configuring Windows 3.11 than anyone ever would from installing SBS Server 2003, which is basically click on this wizard and then on this wizard for 5 hours :eek:

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  10. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Greetings, Tom. Welcome to CertForums. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  11. Tyler D

Tyler D Gigabyte Poster

Greetings :biggrin

Certifications: A+,70-270
    WIP: 70-290
  12. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Hi mate, welcome to CF...

They must be that tight that cant even fart!

13. unemployedstudent

unemployedstudent Byte Poster

Welcome to the flock. :iluvcf

Certifications: BAISA(hons) Degree, ECDL.
    WIP: A+, CompTIA N+, CCNA
  14. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome to CF :)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009