New Server+ Exam

Discussion in 'Server+' started by ScoobyDoo, Dec 2, 2004.

1. ScoobyDoo

ScoobyDoo Byte Poster

I have sent two e-mails to Comp-TIA requesting information as to when the new version of this exam will start.

I will let you know when I hear anything.

Certifications: <<See Below>>
  2. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

I'm going to attempt the new exam having failed the old one. I really hope they don't half arse this exam as the old one is the worst exam I've had the misfortune to sit. It really did look like it had been written by a 5 year old and proof read by a chimp...:eek:

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Unfortunately, other CompTIA exams are written similarly...particularly the Network+ exam. Since they are both being revised, I hope CompTIA takes this opportunity to do a better job with them.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. ScoobyDoo

ScoobyDoo Byte Poster

No, I haven't forgotten - Comp TIA don't alwys answer their e-mail.

5. ScoobyDoo

ScoobyDoo Byte Poster

SlyPie, can you elaborate on your point please. I would be interested to learn more.

6. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Just basically what trip says. The network+ was badly written but the server+ was extremly badly written. The content of the exam has much to be questioned as well. I rang and complained about the wording on some of the questions that were written in american english and I had problems understanding what they were asking. I failed by a couple of % and felt that this was the difference between me passing and failing. Poor value considering the £170 price tag.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  7. netcom2000

netcom2000 Bit Poster

I fancy doing server+ at some time, is it that hard, what other exam could you compare it with?

Certifications: Network+
    WIP: MCSA/CCNA and SERVER+
  8. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

I've never taken it but I cant imagine it's any harder than the A+ or Network+ exams. What makes it hard is that the exam content is badly written, making it difficult to understand the question and thus difficult to select the proper answer(s).

There's a further issue in that the content is written in American English and that can complicate matters first. While I think CompTIA is obligated to write their test questions clearly, I don't know how many versions of English they are obligated to provide.

I once sought writing advice from a fellow named Ian McLean (yes...the author of "Windows 2000 TCP/IP Black Book"). He told me to write without any slang and to try to create content in as much "proper" English as I could in order to make my writing comprehensible to folks reading it who may use English as a second language. While I don't think that quite applies here, if CompTIA were to apply the same principle to their writing, I believe their exams would be quite reasonable for both US and UK candidates.

9. Ian_S

Ian_S New Member

Hi - Just been reading over the new exam specs. I have read the comments on this thread but did not see the old exam, I have to say the new one looks pretty good. You say the old one was like a more in-depth A+, the new one is very Server centric, SCSI is well covered with the addition of iSCSI and SAS, Storage arrays, blade servers, and extensive FC coverage. I think I might go for this one as it certainly has merit in the company architecture I presently work in. We are moving over to blade servers with FC connections to massive SAN systems. Check out the CompTIA web site for more information.

Certifications: None as yet.
    WIP: A+
  10. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Let us know how this one goes, Ian. We'd certainly be interested in your experiences and insights in studying for and taking this exam (within the bounds of your non-disclosure agreement of course).