1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Convert

Discussion in 'Linux / Unix Discussion' started by Phil, Jun 19, 2006.

1. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

Well guys, this weekend I bought a shiney new 320Gb drive, installed it in my system then installed Linux properly for the first time on anything other than a test system with the intention of seeing if I could make it my primary OS. I installed Suse 10.1 for no other reason than it's the first one I stopped at and all I can say is I love it! It's put the fun back into my computer. Had a lot of "fun" trying to put a decent ATI driver on yesterday but since I got it installed the system has been runing like a dream.

I've been getting increasingly dissatisfied with Windows as a home system recently, The whole DRM thing and how intrusive M$ are getting has just pushed me the penguin way.

Aaanyway being a complete Linux nub I'll probably be back in this forum with some completely nub questions, oh and I guess the answer to the recent Poll on whether I will be installing Vista would be probably not :)
    Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  2. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

way to go phil! :clap just one question would you consider looking at other distro's. I jumped right into the deep end with debian but thats your choice. From hanging around various linux forums i have picked up fedora and ubuntu are really good to try make them your primary OS... its is a nice feeling when things start to work on linux isnt it? :biggrin
    Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  3. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Congrats on making the jump. A lot of people are making the jump and for the same reasons you are. This fact isn't nearly as visible on this forum as it is on some others, but a lot of people are moving away from MS products.

From what I have read a lot of people who install SuSe really like it. It seems to have a pretty loyal user group.
    Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Certifications: A+ and Network+