New and sitting rather shyly in the corner

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Cardiff Irons, Jun 6, 2005.

1. Cardiff Irons

Cardiff Irons New Member

Hi folks,

Just wandered into this forum after doing a web search on Cerco Training (you know, the IT training stuff on TV).

Suddenly I have a pang for trying something a little different - currently working as an Operations Manager for a training company and previously a deliverer of Business and Personal Development training and before that a Chartered Building Surveyor (I know, I know....a rather restless individual).

I'm hoping to look at these forums to learn a little bit more about the subject and hope to get to know some of you along the way.

All the best from Cardiff Irons. :)

2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Greetings, Cardiff Irons. Welcome to CF. Glad you found the place.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Hi mate.
    There's no corners here!

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  4. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Welcome to the forums :biggrin

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  5. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hi and welcome from me too, Cardiff Irons :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  6. punkboy101
    Honorary Member

punkboy101 Back from the wilderness

Welcome mate, no need to sit in the corner, we're a friendly bunch (most of the time :wink:). :D

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: Nada
  7. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Welcome to Cert forums :iluvcf

Have a welcome beer from Cardiff

[​IMG]

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  8. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

G'day from me too Cardiff, you have found the most friendly bunch of IT peeps on the net!

No lurking necessary here :biggrin

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  9. Tyler D

Tyler D Gigabyte Poster

Greetings Cardiff Irons :biggrin

Certifications: A+,70-270
    WIP: 70-290
  10. Cardiff Irons

Cardiff Irons New Member

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. Boycey,that beer was very welcome thank you, but I'm afraid one is never enough :morebeer

11. Boycie
    Honorary Member

LOL :D
    Do you think you will go the Cerco route?
    All the best, enjoy the forum.

12. Cardiff Irons

Cardiff Irons New Member

Thanks Boyce. Not sure about the Cerco route - all seems a little too good to be true (tried a dummy run of their online test and it seemed just too easy - like they want everyone to pass).

To be honest, I need a ton of advice on what the training options are, what the job opportunities are, what the reward structures in the industry are like etc. My aim is to spend a bit of time looking around the forum so that I can begin to know what questions to ask.

Cheers Boyce, look forward to speaking with you again. :thumbleft

13. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Hi,

There has been someone on this forum who recently went to the Nantwich site ( as far as I remember-) and said they got them work (temp) fitting EPOS terminals in Dixons while they were waiting for full time placements.
    See the up to date posting here
    I does seem a good idea if 1)you have that amount of money to spend and 2) you want to change jobs asap.
    At one time I was thinking about doing it myself but decided against it as I realise I am going to take a drop in salary to get into the IT field so didn't want to pay another 4K to do it :blink

As far as advice is concerned then I think everyone has their own preferences and goals. I am happy going the self cert route and hope that when I do start putting myself about (god, what would Marlene say!) for work I will sooner or later get a job on what I have achieved with some experience on the way.

Whether you decide to go the Cerco route or the self cert/training provider way all the best and stick around :iluvcf

14. Cardiff Irons

Cardiff Irons New Member

Thanks Boycey. I may be in a similar boat to you as far as salary drop is concerned and I'm not too concerned about switching roles asap (well, not at the moment anyway :eek: ), so I guess the self-study route may be more appropriate.

Just doing a bit of scanning on the forums it seems that some have gone down the NITLC route which, if I'm correct, gives you the opportunity to learn at your own pace (which suits me).

It's deciding WHAT to study that I need to look into. Ultimately, I'd ideally be looking for a role that enables me to be quite flexible (maybe self-employed project work) and I also enjoy working from home. To be honest I'm not even sure if such roles exist in the IT industry.

Whilst I'm considered a bit of an IT wizard in my current role, this is all acquired self taught (trial and error) stuff, so I'm a real rookie as far as the industry is concerned.

Take care mate, speak soon. :thumbleft

15. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Hi,

Good to hear you have experience within your current role, which is a good thing should you be employed (as opposed to self-employed) as that will be a bonus.

I think you have hit the nail on the head. You must first decide which route you would like to take and then decide on how to go about it. i.e self study, classroom course, distance learning etc.

They all have their Pro's and Con's. I don't know if you share the same opinion but one of the benefits of going with a training provider ( i know there are many) is the job placement. Well, if you wanted to work for yourself that side would be unused.

One thing for sure is that whatever road you decide to go down there wil be people here who have done it, are thinking about it and can help you on the way.