Networking Courses Advice

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by king_ran, Apr 20, 2010.

1. king_ran

king_ran Bit Poster

Hi,

My employer is willing to send me to courses so that I can be a certified Network Administrator.

I am thinking of the MCSE or CCNA. I know that the CCNA is probably better if I want to go into networking.

My only concern is that I don't think my employer will pay for the CCNA since we don't have Ciscos routers/hardware etc.

Am I better off studying the MCSE since it'll be paid for then deciding later on if I should do the CCNA.

I would appreciate it if anyone can help.

Regards.

WIP: A+, MCDST
  2. Shadowrunner

Shadowrunner Nibble Poster Premium Member

Hi,

If you don't use Cisco hardware then the CCNA will largely be irrelevant as it's a Cisco specific cert. For general network admin then the MCSA/MCSE would be a better bet, depending on your level of experience. If you're relatively new to IT then you might want to consider the Network + first.

SR

3. king_ran

king_ran Bit Poster

Thanks for replying. Think doing a MSCA is best - I've been in I.T for a couple of years now so think I should have enought knowledge to bypass Network +

4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

then why not get the N+? the more certs on your cv the better. Also having the A+ and N+ count towards the MCSA elective.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

The goal isn't to bypass as many certifications as possible. The point of certifications is not to learn new things, but to validate to an employer the knowledge and skills you already have. So if you've already know the concepts covered on the Network+ exam, that's all the MORE reason to validate that knowledge!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. king_ran

king_ran Bit Poster

Point taken. It's just that I don't know if my employer will be willing to pay for a Network+ and MCSA.

I'll pay for the Network+ once myself as it does make sense to have that under my belt too.

Thanks