Network / Systems Management tools

Discussion in 'Software' started by simongrahamuk, Jan 5, 2006.

1. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

This is primarilly for those who work in schools / college's who have a real need to lock down their systems from interfering users, but could apply to anyone.

I'm just wondering what network / systems management software you use, and how you find it?

In my school we use Ranger for our security policies, monitoring, etc. This is primarily because I worked for a reseller and was familliar with it.

I know that there are others out there (RM, etc) but how do you find the ones that you use? Would you feel comfortable using a pure MS environment locked down with GPO's?

:blink

2. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

That's a good topic Simon and I'll be interested to any other responces to this.

We are a M$ environment, except for the mail server which runs linux. However, the actual network is setup using VLANS on our main routing switch. It is setup like that so that the kids can only "see" their local network and the servers. The routing also ensures that they HAVE to use our proxy server and cannot bypass it. If there are any problems we would normally use a third party product like etherial and the like.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  3. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

The company I work for uses Ranger in high schools and we quite like it as a product. Certainly offers a great deal more than just using GPO's by themselves.

We also use a product called Winsuite for most of the primary schools that we support. Similar in principal to Ranger but no were near as powerful, but it's more than enough for most Primary School networks.

I try and avoid RM software and systems if I can (ie Classmate XP, Connect 3 etc...) but sometimes I don't get to choose what my schools decided to go with before they had the company I work for supporting them.

I work in 9 different schools a week, doing half a day in each, mostly Primary. Will be moving on soon though to work with the erstwhile WagnerK at a high school. Much more interesting systems and problems to tackle. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  4. eyeball

eyeball Nibble Poster

Certifications: A+, Network +, MCSA
    WIP: CCNA, MCSE+security
  5. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Group Policy is a very powerful tool, but it doesn't always offer what is needed interms of monitoring ability in an environment such as a school. Hence why third party tools are used.

For instance using Ranger I can capture users screens when the comit a security violation, and I can set the system up to do this in about three clicks of the mouse.

8)

6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

How do you know they have committed a security violation Simon. Do you get real time alerts? Can you monitor what the little buggers are up to in real time?

Sounds to me like Ranger is a good solution for schools.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  7. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

What Simon said really. Ranger is a great system and offers way way more than what you can do with group policy. As another example, it has a sophostcated title and exe checking system that can stop people in their tracks trying to run things that are restricted. It can even stop people typing in UNC paths etc.. It brings it all together in a nice managed envoironment and makes keeping an eye on the buggers much easier.

It has a great deal of depth and I'm sure you could (given enough time) implement most of it's functionality via group poilcy, but it would be a big project, take up allot of time and resources and still would be as easy to manage or be as truly effective.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  8. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

You sure do, and can!

For me Ranger is the Dogs B******s! And like Modey said Most things could be done via GPO's but it would take ages!

9. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Always worth devising a group policy, I had to install a terminal server for 30 odd users and I had to lock it down so none of the users would break their new toy! No problems so far and they go through a Symantec Proxy Server (stops suspect content and also webmail) so hopefully that will keep the spyware out for a while!

Ranger looks good though! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs