1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Network+ hands on practice

Discussion in 'Network+' started by Dexter, Feb 20, 2008.

1. Dexter

Dexter Nibble Poster

Hmm , didn't really know what to call this thread but I need some advice on what hardware would be complimentary to studying for the Network+ cert. I'm pretty sure you're all going to tell me "a second computer and a switch/hub to practice some basic networking stuff" but my reasons for asking are these. At the moment I have 4/5 year old Athlon 2.2GHz and a pretty ancient (well more ancient :biggrin) IBM pent 2, left over from my A+ practice. My problem is that the Athlon runs Linux and I don't have a disk to install XP temporarily for my studies. The Pent 2 is painfully slow via crossover (don't know what its like via hub/switch) but does at least have Win 2K on it. I've been toying with looking for another second hand PC with XP on it just because I thought it would be better (and a little easier) to practice networking on two windows boxes. I doubt Network+ covers things like NFS or Samba.
    So I guess I'm asking what do you guys think? Is practicing with two Windows boxes going to be more beneficial/efficient or is hooking the IBM Pent 2 up to my Linux box just as good? I've even got an oldish Mac knocking around here too. Is that going to be of any use?

Certifications: A+ N+ MCDST
    WIP: LPIC-1 - HTML - MYSQL
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Alright Dexter?

I have two machines both with XP pro on them as I am hoping that'll do the job for when I do the N+ you could get the MCDST press books as they come with 180 day trial of windows 2000, so you could install that for 180 days and have a win2k - xp network.

Miy network isn't using a Hub just both machine directly connected with a cable.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. OceanPacific

OceanPacific Byte Poster

Think again. Network+ does cover samba. If its networking you need to know it.

WIP: N+, A+
  4. qbano

qbano New Member

If you can i would get the xp box and a switch or hub and work on getting all 4 boxes sharing files (xp/linux/mac) that should really help you out for the net+. I just passed the exam today (used Mikes book and trainsignal) and samba and NFS was on it as well as a lot of novell stuff. I think the knowledge you will get networking those 4 systems will be great for the test and for the future. Good luck!! :biggrin

Certifications: A+ N+
  5. Dexter

Dexter Nibble Poster

Many thanks guys. A fountain of knowledge as always :) I'll go on your advice.

BTW: Congrats on the pass qbano

Certifications: A+ N+ MCDST
    WIP: LPIC-1 - HTML - MYSQL