Resolved Network Bridge of On-board LAN and PCI LAN

Discussion in 'Networks' started by BB88, Dec 2, 2011.

1. BB88

BB88 Kilobyte Poster Gold Member

I have a Digital Camera that has a backup feature which is primarily intended for a home network. It backs up using wireless.

The computer is Windows XP Professional Based.

I have a computer with on-board LAN which gets its IP Address from the network. I have added an additional PCI LAN Card to the computer and plugged in a Wireless Access Point to the PCI Card to make the Computer Wireless Accessible.

The issue I am getting is I am getting a 169 address from the Access Point. I intended on using the Network Bridge feature in XP, but am still getting a 169 address. I can still browse the internet fine, and the on-board LAN has all its correct settings.

Any ideas?

------

Edit, tried a different PCI LAN Card and worked fine.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2011
    Certifications: CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, MCSA: Office 365,, 70-410, 70-680
    WIP: CompTIA: Security+
  2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

I would suggest that the AP is actually plugged into a switch instead of attached to a computer, that way any other wireless device would be able to connect to your network wirelessly.

As for the problem with the AP it's because it's been configured to get it's IP Address from a DHCP server, you need to see if you can configure it to use a static addres, if you can then give it an address high up in the range and just leave it configured like that.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. BB88

BB88 Kilobyte Poster Gold Member

SimonD,
    Thanks for the reply.

We already have several APs and Repeaters across the site, along with three different wireless networks.

The camera couldn't connect to our UNCs due to limitations on the Camera, and our Security on the network paths.

The camera is intended for Home network with limited security, hence using a standalone computer with an AP to allow the connection. I have since resolved the situation with a new PCI LAN Card.

Certifications: CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, MCSA: Office 365,, 70-410, 70-680
    WIP: CompTIA: Security+