net monitoring

Discussion in 'Networks' started by zxspectrum, Jun 17, 2007.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

OK folks ive just got my BT set up with one of them home hubs. Basically i want to do several things.

i want to change from wep encryption to wpa encryption
    I also want to know which computers are on my network and what they are doing as i know P2P sites dont go down well with BT.
    Also as ive got wep , id like to learn how to crack it and then also id like to try and have a bash at wpa, just for the experience and to see how secure they both are

Any help is always appreciated

Eddie

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

wep -> wpa = should be a setting within the control panel somewhere in your wireless... whats your make and model?

computers on your network? you should see the information within your DHCP list within your modem/router settings... it should show the computers names that has been connected to your network.

learn to crack WEP?
    you'll need a few tools, plus your wireless card needs to support certain drivers aswell... the ones i used were netstumbler, kismet, airsnort and aircrack and etherreal ...long process, Zeb's da man, and it's been a long time since i cracked anything...

first thing first, change your security to WPA / WPA2 and make sure you have a strong passkey for it.

3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

If you want to know what the machines on your network are *doing* (rather than just being present) then you need to feed them via a good managed switch where you can arrange for the traffic to be copied to a spare port.

The you need to run something like Ethereal on the machine connected to that spare port.

This won't capture the traffic that is going via the AP on the BT Home Hub. To do that you would need to add your own AP to the managed switch, and disable the one in the Home Hub.

If you don't mind the speed hit, then you could use an old 10Mbps *hub* instead of a switch. (I keep an old 3Com hub for just this purpose.)

Edit: Wep is know to be trivial to break - with a reasonable amount of traffic you should manage it in under half an hour. WPA2 is a different proposition alltogether.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+