1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Some Advice...

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by MarkGL, Aug 2, 2012.

1. MarkGL

MarkGL New Member

Hi,

I am really looking for some advice about what steps I should take next.

I have self studied and passed the Comptia A+ exams this year but no luck since on the job front. I have been mainly looking for support roles. I have since read the Network + study guide with the aim of taking the exam which I will do soon. However which certifications are the best to study for that may improve my chances of getting noticed when applying for IT jobs?

Should I be focusing on the Microsoft certifications?

Thanks for your time.

2. The Zig

The Zig Kilobyte Poster Forum Leader

Hi,

The A+ is often considered a hardware thing. A lot of support roles do seem to ask for Microsoft, so it's probably worth a look. If you can find a Certiport centre anywhere near you - the MTA would probably be the easiest way to get Microsoft on your CV. Or the 70-680 is also a popular (but tougher) first MS cert.
    Some hardware roles (field tech) do ask for A+

You have looked beyond the "Job Sites" though, right? Mostly these are plagued with agents. The agents are useful once a career's moving, but for someone starting out, they're more of an obstacle. Hundreds of people will apply for any entry role - most agents lack the technical knowledge to tell the difference between a suitable candidate and an unsuitable one for a given job, or just can't be bothered, so to filter down the number of applicants the agent demands something ridiculous like an MCSE for a 16K 1st line role.
    Then the agent floods the employer with dozens of inappropriate CVs. Annoys everyone.

My advice would be to apply to people directly - job sites are mostly just a big time sink at entry level. Try computer shops, schools, colleges, any local IT companies. Use Yell to look around. Don't forget to look out for training/apprentice roles with the big boys like Virgin, BT, mobile providers and media companies.

Certifications: A+; Network+; Security+, CTT+; MCDST; 4 x MTA (Networking, OS, Security & Server); MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Support; MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Administrator; MCITP - Server Administrator; MCSA - Server 2008; MCT; IOSH; CCENT
    WIP: CCNA; Server 2012; LPIC; JNCIA?