1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help with RIS

Discussion in 'Windows Vista / 7 / 8 Client Exams' started by anto6ik7, Aug 21, 2009.

1. anto6ik7

anto6ik7 Nibble Poster

Hello everyone,

Could someone help me with installing RIS? i have the following problem. I have installed Active directory and DCHP. I would like to install Remote Installation Services now. However, when i go to add or remove programs and click add/remove windows components i cant find remote installation services.

Does anyone have suggestion what could cause the problem.

Thank you!!!

Antons

Certifications: MCDST, 70-290
    WIP: MCSA
  2. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I take it you are using Windows 2003 with SP2 installed? RIS was replaced with WDS (Windows Deployment Services). If you want to practice using RIS I suggest you install an earlier version of Server 2K3.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  3. anto6ik7

anto6ik7 Nibble Poster

Thank you very much for the explanation.

Do you know, is it a big difference between RIS and WDS? I am doing learning for 70-270 exam. Would you recommend to go to the previous version and install RIS?

4. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I haven't used WDS in 2K3 SP2 (so I couldn't compare them), but for the 70-270, you don't have to know that much about setting up a RIS server to be fair. You would need to know how to configure an XP client to boot from a RIS server and to also troubleshoot that process if it didn't boot correctly etc...

Anyway, I don't think you could deploy XP with WDS anyway, so it's not going to be something covered on the 270, so stick to RIS ...

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
  5. anto6ik7

anto6ik7 Nibble Poster

Thanks Modey for the good explanation. I will reinstall my server now.

6. anto6ik7

anto6ik7 Nibble Poster

is Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard Edition will be ok for using RIS?

7. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Not sure Anto, the best way would be to suck it and see. I do know that R2 with SP2 (which was the last one available before Server 2K8 ) doesn't have RIS.

8. anto6ik7

anto6ik7 Nibble Poster

Thanks Modey. This version of windows has RIS. So i can practise now.

Thank you

9. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

WDS has a legacy mode, which allows you to use older RIS images.

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  10. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

A vanilla 2003 R2 does not come with SP2 slipstreamed, just SP1. So yes, RIS should be there just fine.

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  11. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)