Need help on what Multimeter to buy

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mr Snowflakes, Apr 11, 2006.

1. Mr Snowflakes

Mr Snowflakes Bit Poster

Hello everyone!

I need some help. I have recently started my A+ course and want to start testing and diagnosing my computer, pratical is always better anyway, and I wanna get my hands dirty. lol. I'm getting this toolkit:

LINK

Any good?

However I'm not sure which Multimeter to buy, I know that I need one that has a Audio Continuity test on it, and a built in fuse as well (For safety reasons), but dont want to spend too much if it's not nessasary. etc.

Any insight into this would be well apreciated.

Gratz

WIP: A+ Certification. City & Guilds
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

IMHO the fairly cheap ones from Maplins will do fine for most purposes.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. Mr Snowflakes

Mr Snowflakes Bit Poster

There's a lot there on maplins site.

WIP: A+ Certification. City & Guilds
  4. hbroomhall

I have the N49AB, which seems fine to me.

Harry.

5. Jellyman_4eva

Jellyman_4eva Byte Poster

I have that very toolkit..

Its very good, just make sure you get a set of smaller screwdrivers also to help with the more minute tasks you may do...

Certifications: MCDST, MCITP-EDST/EDA/EA/SA/ MCSA 2K3/2K8, MCSE+M 2K3/2K8, ISA/TMG, VCP3/4, CCNA, Exchange, SQL, Citrix, A+, N+, L+, Sec+, Ser+, JNCIA-SSL, JNCIS-SSL
    WIP: Lots
  6. MarkN

MarkN Nibble Poster

Certifications: MCSE NT4\W2K,CNE,CCEA,ASE
    WIP: CCNA
  7. hbroomhall

8. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I agree that any fairly cheap multimeter will do the job. Just make sure that it has ranges for AC/DC volts, current settings for milliamperes and an Ohms range for checking resistance and continuity.

Most importantly make sure that it has a sturdy case, something to protect it against knocks and bangs. Auto-ranging is also good for a beginner because it is easy to blow up a meter if you have set the wrong range manually.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  9. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Hmmm.... That meter on Ebay looked like the old analog Simpson multimeters we have here in the US. The Simpsons were as good as it gets. In the 70's and 80's if you wanted the best meter around you bought a Simpson.

The old black ones like the one in that picture haven't been manufactured for at least 20 years, yet you can still find them around in good working order.

I have to say I'd agree with Bluerinse though in his recommendation for an autoranging meter. The autoranging feature will save many a newbies, and absentminded old hands, from blowing up their meters. The digitals aren't quite as likely to blow if you accidently put voltage to the meter when it's set to measure resistance....

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  10. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Hmmm, I wonder then if AVO (the one in the pic is an Avo 8) are the same company as Simpson in the US? I have never heard of a Simpson meter before, I guess Homer invented it :biggrin

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  11. Malnomates

Malnomates Megabyte Poster

AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!Cut my teeth on the infamous AVO-8,damn it man!those were the days,none is this fancy shmancy digital nonsense!!If it didn't register on the 8 it was running 20 Amps through your elbows and making your hair stand on end,,aaaaaaaahhhhh the old days.. 8) :devilflam

Certifications: A+ Network+
  12. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Harry,

How old are you to remember that! ...thats like super ancient buryial ground old like...

13. hbroomhall

You mean - like me? :biggrin I'm well past the half-century....

Harry.

14. Malnomates

Malnomates Megabyte Poster

:dry :blink

Certifications: A+ Network+