Need clarification please

Discussion in 'A+' started by nugget, Oct 12, 2004.

1. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

This question is in my Mike Myers book and I have a problem with the answer and the reasons behind it, as my answer is different to the one given.

After upgrading a computer system from Windows 98 to Windows XP Professional, you notict that the modem no longer works, even after you manually attempt to install the driver. What is the first thing you should check before making a call to technical support?

A. Check the Windows XP Hardware Compatibility List (HCL)
    B. Check the Windows XP Approved Vendors List (AVL)
    C. Remove the modem and check the jumpers to make sure it is configured for Plug and Play detection.
    D. Check the modem manufacturer's web site for an updated driver.

My answer is D.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  2. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Why is the given answer A. Check the Windows XP Hardware Compatibility List (HCL). If the component is not on the HCL, it is incompatible with Windows XP.

According to the information in the book about installing an OS, this should have been done before any install to start with. Also when installing XP it runs the Upgrade Advisor anyway, and should detect that the modem is incompatible.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  3. MarcoPolo

MarcoPolo New Member

I find loads of the A+ questions like this, you need to start thinking like the Windows XP help program, it instructs you to do exactly that, in that order. If you think like an intelligent real person in the real world you fail.

WIP: A+ & MCSE
  4. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

well when I first looked at that question nugget I instantly said A...its the only explanation...how else would you have known? sometimes those PnP that arent on the HCL can still work...

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  5. punkboy101
    Honorary Member

punkboy101 Back from the wilderness

I'm with Nugget on this one, it's a bit of a stupid answer. As has been said, why would you check the HCL, when the HCL was run before the upgrade?

I would look at drivers.

Good point MarcoPolo, there's allot of truth in that lol :rolleyes: :D

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: Nada
  6. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

I would go with A also - you have to look at what matches what the question is really asking you about.

Just wait till you start on Microsoft's questioning style ... :ohmy :cry:

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  7. punkboy101
    Honorary Member

punkboy101 Back from the wilderness

Don't even go there Mr :x

It's hard enough tryin to battle throught the oh so interesting M$ Press writting style *yawn*, let alone having to read a paragragh of dribble to answer a question.

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: Nada
  8. christof

christof Nibble Poster

I was under the impression that XP would notice a modem is there, and would either ask you for the drivers, if you had them. Or you would chose the modem manufacturer from the XP list, failing that I thought XP would then install some generic modem drivers, then allowing you to connect to the internet and download the correct drivers from the maker.

Having said all that, if it didn't recognise it, surley it would tell you that a hardware device wasn't able to be installed.

I would have answered D as well. Although that would have been under the assumption that I could connect to the manufacturers website on another computer, and look for the updated drivers.

Certifications: certificate of life!!!
    WIP: A+