Need advice on how to set up a virtual os

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by tysfoot, Dec 30, 2008.

1. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

why don't you buy it?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  2. tysfoot

tysfoot Byte Poster

i dont really have the money to buy the software, im on a tight budget.

Is this possible ?

My freind has an old computer that has xp professional installed. Is there anyway i can transfer the os from his desktop and use it for my virtual pc, there is no disks with the computer, just the serial number on the side of the casing.

the reason why i want to transfer it and not work from it is because of the space, i prefer to do my studies sat with my laptop

Certifications: A+
    WIP: MCDST, N+
  3. DC Pr0Mo

DC Pr0Mo Kilobyte Poster

You could image you friends machine with something like acronis, and restore the image to the virtual machine.

I had to do this with a friends machine when she had several problems with it. It worked fine, though you may come across some issues depending on the hardware on the orignal machine.

Or if your friends machine has the i386 directory in the xp installation, you could create a windows install disc from it and use the product key during the installation.

Not 100% sure on the legalities of both methods, maybe another member can shed some light.

Certifications: MCDST | BSc Network Computing | 365 Fundamentals
  4. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Okay, firstly you might want to check this post out about virtual computing resources.

As to creating a vm out of the other pc that you have, look on the vmware website for the vm converter. With this you can (as long as both pcs are on the network) start the program, configure it topoint to the machine that you want to convert into a vm and then configure the path where you want the vm to be put and then push the go button.

As to using the vm, you could try installing the vmware player. You can do anything (I think) within reason that you could normally do with a vm. The limitation is that you cant create vms, only play them.

Secondly, maybe try looking on ebay or something similar to find cheap systems.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

what they said:D

if you get issues regarding the mobo drivers and other hardware you could try going into the virtual machine device manager and update the mobo driver with your mobo disk. As with your other hardware you might need to download drivers to disks to reinstall on your virtual machine.

I still say it would be a lot less hassle to get xp pro £113 on overclockers for xp pro oem http://www.overclockers.co.uk/productlist.php?groupid=33&catid=20

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

The serial number on the side of the casing indicates that it's an OEM version of Windows XP, which means that it cannot legally be transferred from one computer to another. Additionally, that key may or may not work without using the CD provided by the manufacturer, because some keys are locked to that particular manufacturer... if you install it using a retail Windows XP CD, it won't recognize the key.

I understand that your budget is tight... but this is an investment in your career. Many of us subscribe to TechNet Direct or the Action Pack, both of which provide licenses to install just about any software that Microsoft has created. That said... either of those options will be quite a bit more expensive than just buying a copy of Windows XP from an online retailer...

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Too true. If you look at it this way,

Technet subscription per year, roughly £250
    10 licenses for XP, 10x113=£1330

you do the math.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  8. tysfoot

tysfoot Byte Poster

i wouldnt ever want 10 licenses for xp, i just need xp for a trial period for my studies

Thanks for the advice anyway guys. am gonna ask a few mates i knw who work in i.t to see if they have a version spare lying around

Certifications: A+
    WIP: MCDST, N+
  9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Suit yourself... but keep in mind that, if they're like most IT guys running around out there, they'll likely give you a key that's in use on a gazillion machines... and therefore, no different than a pirated copy.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!