Need a NAS

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Fergal1982, Jul 4, 2007.

1. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Hi guys,

Im looking at maybe picking up a NAS for the network, and am looking for recommendations.

I need something sizeable (I would, at least partly, be using it for backing up my data), but inexpensive. and it needs to be reliable (obviously).

Thanks
    Fergal

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Buffalo Terrastation.

3. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

How much you got to spend?

What level of RAID are you looking at?

Interested in building your own, or just want a plug & play solution?

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I would have recommended them also, I've found Buffalo products nice, useful & easy to use.

See here, you can get 250gb NAS systems from under £80 - starting with Freecom (their products are good to).

However if you just want to back up your personal data, why do you just go for a USB external HD, you can get a 500GB one for under £80.

Of course if you're going to need the NAS to work on a mid to large network, then you'll be looking for an industry standard NAS for, at least, a couple of hundred pounds.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  6. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

hmmmm. That terastation is likely well outside my budget at this time.

I suppose that was slightly my own fault in not being specific enough.

At this moment I'm not looking at something quite so large. I was thinking of something a bit more basic, since I can maybe go to about 150 quid off the bat.

Ideally I'd like something that I could start out small and expand a bit in the future (maybe 250-300 GB to start with, but with capacity to be expanded in future).

RAID i can live without at the moment, to be honest, and im willing to build a NAS myself if you point me in the direction of the necessary components, etc.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  7. C4sper

C4sper Byte Poster

Certifications: ECDL, A+, MCP, MCDST
    WIP: MCSE, CCNA
  8. C4sper

C4sper Byte Poster

well that's 1TB :)

Certifications: ECDL, A+, MCP, MCDST
    WIP: MCSE, CCNA