MPLS Anyone?

Discussion in 'Routing & Switching' started by BraderzTheDog, Feb 8, 2013.

1. BraderzTheDog

BraderzTheDog Kilobyte Poster

Hi Guys,

Hope all is well, I have a question on learning MPLS configuration (I'm clueless when it comes to this protocol).

I know alot of high end corporate networks are using MPLS for faster connection rates, mainly international corporations that have links over Europe America and Asia. This skill is also highly desirable, and would stand me in good stead in my future networking career if I knew more about it.

We have CBT nuggets CCNP route at work but there isn't anything on MPLS in there is this more CCIE level?

Thanks,
    Brad.

Certifications: CCNA R&S, CCNA-SEC, CCSA, JNCIA FWV, MCITP, MCTS, MTA, A+
  2. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

I haven't actually read though it all, but a quick google got me to this recently retired exam, and their is a migration tool of some sort to see what you should be transferring over too now it's retired, so might give an idea:

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/community/certifications/ccip/mpls

Certifications: ECDL, Does that Count!?!
  3. BraderzTheDog

Ohh you done the course Coupe?

Since its retired and now part of the CCNP SP track I suppose I best leave this for a while, I thought it was high level but it looks very high level now haha!

Do CBT nuggets do any videos on this or is it death by book to understand the concepts?

:D

4. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

Couldn't tell you mate, I still haven't sat the CCNA, done all the reading and training/practising a couple of times now, then not sat the exam. lol.

I will do it eventually, Going for a weeks holiday in Egypt week after next, so might take some books and vids on the tablet, do some out there whilst laid in the sun, then look at the exam for when I get back.

At least you have something to research now though, I'm sure you will find out from Google etc what trainign aids are about, videos or otherwise.

Good Luck! :D

5. BraderzTheDog

Now thats how to revise for an exam! I think I remember you telling me you've worked in networking for a while just never taken the exam. I'm sure you will walk it with experience...

Maybe take a holiday whilst on holiday :) I heard they like riding camels in Egypt :D

Thanks for the advice I'll have a google.

6. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

Haha, yeah they love the Camels! Not so much in Sharm though, often get a random Camel handler that will Give you a ride across the beach or whatever! I've done the Camel thing before though! Lol.

I have been working networks for a little while now, very project based so get given a task and left to me, great way to learn but still hit a few brick walls where I'm not sure what to do! All good though!

As said, hopefully a week in the sun training will see me right to get started on the trail! Failing that I will just get drunk! ;-)

Good luck again with your MPLS studies!

BraderzTheDog likes this.
  7. cisco lab rat

cisco lab rat Megabyte Poster

I would recommend that you start MPLS asap, but you must first understand BGP, OSPF, VRF's inside out. but do it now, if you ever plan on going for the CCIE R&S or service provider then now is the time to start.

Certifications: Yes I pretty much am!!
    WIP: Fizzicks Degree
  8. BraderzTheDog

Thanks very much, I know the basics of BGP, however like you said I it is paramount you know this protocol before moving onto MPL's. I will see if I can get hold of the old CBT nuggets CCIP BGP videos Jeremy did.

If not I might get a book on it, and see where this leads me :)

P.S. Have an interview this afternoon for a new network engineering role. Doesn't require knowledge of BGP or MPL's as the company isn't necessarily that big, however I know this would make me more marketable.

Anyhoo hopefully I win :D

9. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP