moving back home

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by marty1986, Jun 17, 2009.

1. marty1986

marty1986 Bit Poster

Hello just need a quick bit of advice I currently live in London and work in a datacentre, doing jobs such as cabling, patching, server reboots, hardware changes such as swapping nic cards and HDD, working with IBM blade centres changing out hardware and loading firmware all pretty basic stuff. I am looking to move back to the north there isnt as many DCs up there and I dont really want to go back to cabling crawling under floors etc etc I am currently studying for my A+ I would like to work in DC given the opportunity but if this isnt possbile do you think I would qualify to work on a helpdesk I do have helpdesk experience but this was about 5 years ago using the old windows NT.

Cheers Martyn.

WIP: A+
  2. NoCompanyIT

NoCompanyIT Nibble Poster

Well it would be difficult since your experience is 5 years old, plus the majority of your work is hardware, while helpdesk is largely software related problems.

Saying that though, helpdesk is entry level and in some vacancies they don't ask for much. But they do like you to have experience with helpdesk software and dealing with idiots...but it's not like it takes months of training to do this, even though they still prefer someone that has the experience.

Certifications: Bsc (1st)
  3. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

It should be fine. You have relevant experience (regardless of the OS at the time) as well as current experience of an IT environment.

You're studying at the moment (be sure to put that on your CV) so yeah I don't see why not.

Obviously remember that due to the current economical market jobs aren't as easy to find these days.

The best of luck to you.

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Troubleshooting is troubleshooting is troubleshooting. Either you have a logical mind or you don't. Provided you haven't lived in a cave for 5 years, you'll be fine. In truth, your "older" experience is more valuable, in my opinion.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. marty1986

marty1986 Bit Poster

thanks for ya responses lads I have seen a job in school think I am going to apply for that hopefully something will come from it.

WIP: A+