mmc prefmon snap in W2k3

Discussion in 'Software' started by twizzle, Oct 7, 2010.

1. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

I'm trying to set up some performance monitoring logs on a W2K3 system. I'm using teh mmc prefmon snap in and trying to create logs from that that i can use to show our customer.
    So far i've setup

System\system up time
    Processor (_total)\%processor time
    processor (_total)\%privilege time
    processot (_total)\%user time
    memory\page/sec
    memory\available ram
    physical disk(instance)\disk transfer
    network interfcae \ bytes total/sec

What i cant find is, is there a way to log how many processes are running as well? I know if i goto task manager i can see a total of 66 processes but can prefmon log this as well, and is so which counter is it?
    Also whats the best file format to view this in on anothe rpc afterwards? Tab dlimited, Comma dlimited, Sql or?

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  2. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Perfmon is pretty crappy. I always use Cacti for performance monitoring - it's a breeze to set up and available for Windoze and Linux. Cacti allows you to monitor absolutely everything you can think of on a system - one of the default graphs I always create for a system is running processes.

But I digress! I think the performance counter you want to look at is "Objects: Processes"

[​IMG]

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  3. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Thanks Zeb, dont mind the digression! I'll look at cacti, if its free its a possibility, if you have to pay then it depends on costs. As far as i know we're allowed to install 3rd party apps on the customers servers so long as thier not too intrusive.
    As for the prefmon, it was so obvious i suppose. But then again, i'm not used to lookin at that.

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,